1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Coeur d'Alene, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

The Coeur d’Alene Press in scenic North Idaho has an immediate opening for a versatile sports writer. The successful applicant will cover games, write columns and features, and also help handle sports desk duties like taking game reports over the phone. Send cover letter, resume and clips to Mark Nelke, sports editor, Coeur d’Alene Press, P.O. Box 7000, Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814, or e-mail to mnelke@cdapress.com

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Worked there several years ago. Awesome location. Good people. (I'm shocked at how many names remain from the time I was there.) Terrible ownership. Low pay.

Not a bad place to go right out of school or shortly thereafter if you can deal with the low salary and really want to get some experience under your belt. You get to do a little of everything: cover events, write features, edit copy, design pages, etc. So it's a good base from which to hone your skills.

Biggest local event is the annual Ironman Triathlon each summer, that draws more than 1,500 competitors from all over North America and beyond. Other than that, you have a small JUCO (North Idaho College) with basketball, wrestling, softball and track, a NORPAC league hockey team of course, plenty of preps. Spokane is about 30 minutes away, but coverage of things like Gonzaga Univ. or the Chiefs (hockey) and Indians (baseball) is sporadic at best.

Because of the geography (Idaho is only 75 miles across at the northern end between Montana and Washington) and population, you get some really unique prep conference alignments combining smaller and larger schools. Some schools will play Washington, Oregon, Montana and even Canadian teams in non-league contests, and most of the state tournaments are in the far reaches of the state.

3. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Coeur d'Alene -- beautiful. Plus they have a floating green. What's your town got? Street lights?

Nelke's a good guy, really involves himself in the overall high school scene in the state. As a former sports writer for a fellow Idaho daily (Times-News, Twin Falls), we always had a good working relationship and could count on them helping us out with coverage when the College of Southern Idaho headed up to NIC or when state tournaments were up there.

So yeah: If you're starting in the business or working your way up from some small outpost, this'd be a great stop. Travel to state tournaments is always going to be an issue (it's like a 7-hour drive to Boise), but this is the West. You learn to deal.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not sure they travel to the state tournaments when they're in Boise. I could be wrong there.

Coeur d'Alene gorgeous, the pay is utter and complete crap, but the preps up that way are excellent, so if you're starting out that's a plus.

5. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, it's a starting-out, single-person job I think. you can't eat scenery.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's more than one guy, or was.

When I was in Montana, we hired a guy from CDA, and he was making less than $10 an hour.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nelke was still coming down to Boise in 2006, not sure if they still travel.

He's a good guy and was always helpful to those of us who worked elsewhere in the state.

Beautiful country.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

From what I understand, they're looking to pay in the mid-20s. Might depend on experience.

Beautiful country, and as others have said, Mark Nelke's a good guy.

Not sure why the other sportswriter (Rob) is leaving, but this could be good for someone looking to learn a little bit of everything in the biz.

Be sure to look into Hagadone Corp. before you apply, though. I believe there were some layoffs at the CdA Press and elsewhere in the chain earlier this year.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The geography and travel is the bummer. They should really have drawn the state line differently and made CDA part of either Washington or Montana.

I remember a quote from a girls basketball coach years ago saying how "North Idaho is the odd marble in the bag".

10. jps

jps Active Member

mark, much of the western face of montana actually was supposed to have belonged to idaho.

my memory is a bit hazy, but as I recall, the basic story is that, back in the gool ol' days of the frontier, when maps were being drawn, the guy in charge of bringing the newly drawn state lines to those in charge was from montana. he snuck a look and thought his state was being short-changed. so, before the map was delivered to the men in charge, northern idaho magically shunk and montana grew a face.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome story. didn't know that.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

it is awesome, but it's an urban legend.

Draft saved Draft deleted