1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- Clearfield, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rhouston, Aug 30, 2007.

1. spud

spud Member

"Yesterday, a community expressed an outpouring of support for fallen soldier's family through a display of American flags and solidarity."

Um. Well. Yeah.

"Experience in journalism preferred, but not necessary." I think I'll pass this golden opportunity right on by.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Because it throws three people on the beat?

Jeff Rice is a really good writer, but Ron Bracken has been on snooze for about 10 years.

The Mirror's Cory Giger could outwrite Bracken on his best day, and I'd put him up against Rice at any point.

And all-around, the Mirror has a better, deeper section, including much better preps coverage and a presence in Pittsburgh.

3. Editor

Editor New Member

I'm going with wicked on this one...Bracken's a great guy but writes about the same stuff he did 15-25 years ago, and Rice can't compete with Flounders or Giger on his best day. Add in what Phil Cmor does with recruiting in Altoona, Harrisburg's recruiting coverage and CDT's refusal to do any recruiting stories...CDT is, at best, the third read for Penn State stuff behind Harrisburg and Altoona.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll give Rice a little more credit, writing-wise. There is a reason the CDT hired him fresh out of Penn State. And no, I'm not Jeff.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd work for Buck Frank before Ron Bracken any day, and I think they're both class acts.

6. crazysexycool

crazysexycool New Member

Are you kidding? Bracken is an award-winning columnist (see APSE awards). What has Giger done? Rice is also very, very good. And at last count, I saw four people covering PSU for the CDT. The Mirror has Giger, Rudel (who can't seem to give it up) and some other hacks. Phil Cmor does a nice job with recruiting when he's not covering the hotbed that is girls' basketball in central PA.
    I won't count the Patriot coverage because everyone (including the Pittsburgh papers) kicks their behind.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I always love it when people with a hidden agenda sign up to post on one topic. Thanks for stopping by, Ron.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I really don't think it's Ron. Ron may not know how to turn on his e-mail.

(Just kidding. But it points to his age.)

Bracken may be an award-winning columnist, but I sense that he's mailed in everything he's written in the past five years that I have read.

He wrote one column two years ago based off headlines in The Daily Collegian's sports section. I kid you not.

9. crazysexycool

crazysexycool New Member

Still, he writes rings around the Mirror hacks.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't feed the troll, wicked, and it will go away.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

very transparent, very.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He's not a troll if he has an honest opinion that Bracken is better than Giger and Rudel.

Say what you want about Neil and his writing style, but the guy has plenty of access, *almost* as much as Bracken.

Ronnie Christ is missed on that beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted