1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- Clearfield, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rhouston, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

I hear Pennsylvania is a nice place to live, once you learn how to spell "Pennsylvania" that is. Anyone know anything about The Progress? ... I like its name.

From JournalismJobs.com:

Company: The Progress
    Position:
    Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    September 26, 2007
    Job ID: 819321

Description:

The Progress has an opening for a full-time sports writer in the Clearfield office. The ideal candidate should be energetic and motivated as well as have an understanding of AP Style and various sports. Duties include covering various sporting events, writing feature stories, answering phones and keeping statistics. The position will require work during the evenings and some weekends. Education and some experience in journalism is preferred.

Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume, along with at least three writing samples to Jaclyn Yingling, sports editor, The Progress, P.O. Box 291, Clearfield, PA 16830.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pick up the cover of The Progress, and you'll be transported back to 1986.

Community submitted shots on the front page, and lots and lots and lots and lots of gray.

No, you can't even get it online, last I checked.

3. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

So I'll go out on the limb and say no Wicked seal of approval, right?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm not as harsh as some. There are reasons why some people may want to go up there. It's only an hour from State College, probably two or three from Pittsburgh, not terribly far from Cleveland and Buffalo.

But go in there knowing what you're getting yourself into. You'll be competing on some level against DuBois, State College, Altoona and possibly Indiana.

FWIW, it's nice country up there. If it weren't so far from my home base, I'd go back up that way again.

5. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Nah, I was just playing with ya. Any word yet on that other opening in PA..?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

none of the papers i read in '86 had contributed photos on the cover.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Typeface is reminiscent of 1986, that's for sure.

And I lied, they have a Web site now.
    http://www.theprogressnews.com/

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this was my favorite headline: Horse freed after being stuck in watering trough

and wow, just fucking wow. it's not very progressive.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There are a lot of decent small shops in Pennsylvania, but I've never been impressed by The Progress. Clearfield High School is not very competitive in much of anything outside of football, which is a stretch, so writing the PIAA championship game is probably out of the question.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Phonetically, she's got the right name for Pennsylvania.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And District 9 football involves some ridiculous road trips, to Erie and such.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't forget Bradford, which is always a treat in October and November.

Draft saved Draft deleted