1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Citizens' Voice, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, May 12, 2008.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Courtesy: journalismjobs.com

Company: The Citizens' Voice
    Position: Sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: June 16, 2008
    Job ID: 856212

Description:
    The Citizens’ Voice, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., has an immediate opening for a sports writer to cover scholastic and collegiate sports in an aggressive two-newspaper market.

The ideal candidate will have a proven track record covering a beat and the ability to identify compelling feature and enterprise stories. We’re also looking for a reporter who understands the basics and importance of the Web in breaking the news. 1-2 years of daily experience is preferred, but we will consider entry-level reporters with strong journalism backgrounds.

Send resume and work samples to Larry Holeva, Managing Editor, The Citizens’ Voice, 75 N. Washington St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa. 18711 or e-mail lholeva@timesshamrock.com

2. ALMSguru

ALMSguru New Member

Any word on the pay or how good this paper is to work for?

3. What happened to Jim Halpert? Did he finally leave for that sales job?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yea. Dunder-Mifflin. I hear it's an up-and-coming company with a great online presence.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've always found it interesting that a town like Wilkes-Barre could be an "aggressive two-newspaper market."

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The CV was started by striking workers of the larger daily in the late 1970s, so there's bad blood and a reason beyond news content for readers to support one or the other paper. It's now owned by the Scranton paper.

7. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Did I hear someone mention my name? Perhaps not surprisingly, I know a thing or two (but nothing more) about this job. I will now field questions via PM.

Thank you for your time.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They did cover that huge story a year ago about the obscene water mark.

9. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

What's the area like? Small city out in the boonies?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: Sports writer, Citizens' Voice, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Two hours from NYC and Philly isn't what I'd call "boonies."

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I believe the paper covers the Penguins and Yankees minor league franchises.

12. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is a fairly large market, although Wilkes-Barre is the smaller of the two cities. Last I knew, the Citizen's Voice has a beat writer for the hockey team, while the Scranton Times-Tribune did the baseball coverage. They share stories. There also was an AFL2 team and a couple of small colleges in the area.

Draft saved Draft deleted