1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Charleston, WVa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Charleston (WV) Daily Mail in West Virginia's capital is seeking a sports section designer/writer. Responsibilities include designing newspaper pages, copy editing and posting Web copy for about 75-80 percent of the time and writing sports news/features for 20-25 percent. Ideal candidates will have two to five years of newspaper experience, strong copy editing skills and a bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field. Please e-mail resume and design and writing samples to Daily Mail Sports Editor Jack Bogaczyk at jackb@dailymail.com.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Got to know Jack in the many years he worked in Roanoke. Great guy, great journalist. Haven't talked to him in ages. But unless he's changed dramatically, which I doubt, this gets the Moddy Seal.

3. Penske Material

Penske Material New Member

For a relatively small/5-day paper, they cover a lot so there will be writing opps. Pretty nice staff too. WVU beat guy is really good, Marshall guy does good stuff with what he has and they devote an awful lot to preps and the D2 conference in the state. And ditto the "Moddy Seal" on Jack B. Great guy from the time's I've shared the press box with him.

4. Can I see the Penske file?

5. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

I am the Marshall beat writer Penske mentioned. Feel free to shoot me questions privately, if you wish. More general questions can be answered here.

I'll echo the sentiments on Mr. Bogaczyk. You'll find similar traits -- like his work ethic and passion -- in his staff.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

6. Who if anyone left, or did the Jack get the green light to hire someone after the JOA agreement with the Gazette mess appears to have cleared?

7. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

We are replacing our lead designer/sports web editor, who is headed to the University of South Carolina to continue his education (doctorate).

Draft saved Draft deleted