1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Chandler, Tx.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com
    We're looking for a sports reporter/editor at a Texas weekly. Ideal candidate will live and breathe high school sports, carry a camera and notepad and -- once a week -- design your own pages. Reply with resume and references to publisher610@hotmail.com .

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The city is a little misleading — Chandler isn't much more than a wide spot in State Highway 31. But the paper mainly covers Brownsboro, which is a 3A school that's had success athletically. Their football team made the state quarterfinals a couple of years ago. Both towns are in the Brownsboro ISD. Chandler has K-6 schools, but those kids go to Brownsboro in junior high and high school.

http://www.c-bstatesman.com/

3. Chandler has a newspaper? Wow.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Please say the person who left this job went to Santa Monica ...

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

boooooooooooooooooooooooo

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

7. txstatebobcat

txstatebobcat New Member

I did a phone interview for this job. 23k a year, and candidate must help with newsroom coverage as well. It wouldn't be a bad job for someone who is just starting out.

8. redsox99

redsox99 Member

I grew up about 35 miles from here and the location is great, just a few miles outside of Tyler and a little over an hour's drive to Dallas. The same outfit that owns this weekly also owns the Kilgore paper and some other weeklies, so limited advancement chances, but it is a way to get involved in almost every aspect of this business from covering hard news (such that it is in Chandler, but recent events posted above dictate that news DOES happen) to some pretty good sports in Brownsboro. They may also cover Bullard, not sure. The salary is doable in this region. The guy who owns the paper, from the once or twice I've talked to him, seems to be OK and I think he spends most of his time in Kilgore. The paper may also be printed in Kilgore?

9. txrangerman

txrangerman Member

Covered sports in Tyler for four years and I always enjoyed going to Brownsboro. They're usually happy to see you and they feed you like crazy -- press box buffets before home football games (homemade food by booster club moms) and a nice hospitality room for the annual basketball tournament, which usually draws some pretty good area teams in mid-December. The Bears usually field a competitive team in all sports. I want to say they added a few apartments in Brownsboro a few years ago. But if you get an apartment on or near Loop 323 where it meets Chandler Hwy., the commute from Tyler is not too bad. Yes, Smith County is a dry county (but it's perhaps the wettest county you'll find). Social scene is OK, a couple of decent bars downtown. Good area to make connections, as there's overlap with Tyler and Longview, and both Phil Hicks (Tyler) and Jack Stallard (Longview) are pretty good to work for (I've never worked for Jack, but he's a nice guy; Phil is a dream boss). As posted earlier, it would be a good job for someone just starting out, but I wouldn't stay long.

Draft saved Draft deleted