1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Chambersburg, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Public Opinion, a community newspaper in Chambersburg, Pa., seeks a versatile sportswriter/page designer to help us cover high school and local college sports. A degree in journalism, with sports coverage experience preferred. Video and social media experience are a plus. For an excellent entry-level opportunity or a chance to develop your skills in a growing community near the Harrisburg and Baltimore-Washington metro areas, contact Editor Becky Bennett, bbennett@publicopinionnews.com

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Hey, I was BORN there!!!

rb

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Okay I give in.

I'm surprised not to see any interest in this one so I thought I would give it a bump. I can vouch for this as a quality place to work and would encourage anyone to apply. Good editor who has been there for many years and a good staff. The town is not huge by any means but it's not small either. About 40 minutes or so from Harrisburg. 90 minutes to Baltimore and DC.

Coverage is about a dozen high schools plus a few smallish colleges. Good area for prep basketball, football and wrestling.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Plus, there's a distributorship where you can buy Yuengling by the case. Or so I've heard.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Indeed there is. More than one in fact. And by the keg too. And it's on tap in most bars.

Not that I would know though. Just what I've heard ;)

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Does the PO still cover Ship (the university, not the high school)?

You're also 20 minutes from Hagerstown. Don't know how far from the outlets you are, though. And you can drive around for 45 minutes or an hour and find yourself in four states.

7. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

haha yes the four states thing can be a trip sometimes. It's weird to think you have to cross multiple state lines to get home and write a story on deadline.

Yeah they cover Shippensburg but only to an extent -- football and the occassional basketball, wrestling, baseball, soccer. Usually just use wire stuff for them but they will send people to games now and then. Focus is preps of course.

Good thing about the PO is that there isn't much in the way of competition. There's a rag paper in the next town over that gets blown out of the water by the PO. Herald Mail is a decent paper but is more Hagerstown focused. Other neighboring papers are all weeklies.

8. thebigd

thebigd Member

what is the weather like there? How much snow per year? Do you have to chain up much/?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many states do you need to use chains for a passenger car? Arizona is the only state I've lived in that makes you chain up during severe weather.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yeah it's southern pennsylvania, just minutes from maryland. Not the yukon

11. D-K

D-K New Member

Don't think you're going to need to chain up the tires in south Pennsylvania. They don't even let you do that in Northern Michigan...

12. LemMan

LemMan Member

You get your seasons in Chambersburg...it's in the southern part of the state, as one poster said, so you won't get Erie-like weather. I went to school and worked in Chambersburg part of the state for nearly 10 years. Some winters, we'd get now snow; others, there would be a blizzard every other week.

Draft saved Draft deleted