1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Centre Daily Times (State College, Pa.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mike311gd, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Company: Centre Daily Times
    Position: Seeking Sports Writer in Happy Valley
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: July 28, 2008
    Job ID: 444534

Description: SPORTS WRITER

The Centre Daily Times, owned by The McClatchy Company and located in State College, PA (circulation 24,274 daily, 31,394 Sun) seeks a versatile individual who is capable of paginating pages using Quark on Thursday, covering a high school football game on Friday and writing a Penn State football sidebar on Saturday. If you are capable of handling a wide variety of responsibilities at an advanced level, we'd like to hear from you.

Requirements include a bachelor's degree in journalism, two years of professional experience covering various sports, and a solid working knowledge of Quark and Photoshop.

The CDT offers a full range of employee benefits for full-time employees, including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, dependent life and long-term care insurances; 401(k) and pension; company stock purchase plan; tax-free flexible spending account for health or dependent care; vacation time, holidays and other paid time off.

State College, home of Penn State University, is located in the beautiful, mountainous area of Central Pennsylvania.

Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and non-returnable clips to:

Walt Moody Centre Daily Times 3400 East College Avenue State College, PA 16801 Email: wmoody@centredaily.com

The Centre Daily Times is an Equal Opportunity and Drug-free Workplace Employer.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=444534
    --

This was a good paper with a few good eggs the last time I saw it. I'm not sure who left or even who's still there. I'd put good money that management isn't expanding the sports staff, though.

They cover all of Centre County -- five high schools, Penn State, State College Spikes (Single-A, Pirates), some Altoona Curve (Double-A, Pirates), I believe -- and do a pretty good job of it. There's decent football, very competitive baseball on two levels and excellent wrestling.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

Given all the layoffs by McClatchy, how secure is this job?

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It seems they're looking to fill this position every year.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

With all the layoffs couldn't they give this to someone who lost a job at another paper? Or is that too logical?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It IS possible someone from another MC paper will get this, but it has/might have to be posted externally.

6. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I'm not sure anybody with a job will/should be applying for this one. Anybody employed should be smart enough to stay away from McClatchy.

Not bad for somebody out of college, though.

7. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

Ron Bracken, the longtime SE and football writer, is retiring. Appears that Walt has been moved up to SE, and they'll be replacing Bracken with a writer.

8. So if the paper is going to hire within, is it even worth sending stuff in??

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Is Gordon Brunskill still at the CDT?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Last I knew, he was.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My understanding was that they're promoting from within to fill their sports editor position, thus creating the sports writer opening that prompted this thread. So, yeah, send in your stuff.

12. tmurray2

tmurray2 New Member

Anyone heard anything on this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted