1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Casper Star Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Idaho, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

From the Little Birdie Newswire

There will soon be another opening in Casper. A writer there is, like many others before him, making an onward-and-upward move by taking a job in Carbondale covering So. Illinois.

Good gig for someone willing to work hard, cover some college (as well as prep) sports in Wyoming.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, I guess we know who got the job at the Southern Illinoisan.

3. zoucrew

zoucrew Member

I know a lot about this paper and this job. Good section, good people, chance to cover a lot of stuff.

PM me with any questions.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

From the folks in Casper:

Wyoming's leading newspaper is looking for a versatile, motivated sports journalist to complete a talented staff.
    Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune. Three of our hires in the past four years earned APSE writing awards their first year out of college and advanced to Division I beats. Some are still here, while others have moved on to cover bigger beats. We have former employees covering major colleges in Illinois, North Carolina and Michigan and pro teams in Denver, and others have moved up to managerial positions.
    Your beat in Wyoming will be a little bit of everything, including professional indoor football and minor league baseball. This reporter also regularly writes sidebars and features from University of Wyoming events. Casper is also host to the College National Finals Rodeo, and you'll pitch in with that week-long effort, as well.
    Our statewide circulation of 30,000-plus makes us the most prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section has won 20 APSE awards since 1995, including including the ‘Baby Triple Crown’ for 2005 (three honorable mention recognitions in daily, Sunday and special section categories). We're looking for someone to help us build on that excellence.
    The job will include reporting and desk duties, depending on the time of year. Quark experience will set you apart from other candidates; full-time sports copy editors are also encouraged to apply.
    You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, a willingness to continuously improve as a writer, page designer and online reporter, and strong attention to detail. Meanwhile, you'll live and play amid Wyoming's outdoor splendor. We're about a four-hour drive north of Denver.
    We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, employee stock purchase plan, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our web site at www.casperstartribune.net. Learn about our parent company at www.lee.net.
    Send a cover letter explaining why you're the right person for the job, along with your resume, reference list and work samples to:
    David Mayberry
    Sports Editor
    Casper Star-Tribune
    P.O. Box 80
    Casper, WY 82602
    david.mayberry@casperstartribune.net

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Casper does a good job. Last time I saw the paper was a few summers ago when I was passing through and saw a Casper Rockies baseball game.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If the fast track to Carbondale is what you want, this job is for you.

7. azom

azom Member

If you have any specific questions about the job or the area, PM me. I guess you could call me an insider.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, for those of us who can read, i guess we do.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, damn. I got burned!

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have nothing to add, except I have the last post on each board.

Yes, it is 4:14 a.m. CDT.

11. azom

azom Member

Same text as above, but....

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=696081

12. Journalista

Journalista New Member

Azom,

Is there a way you could contact me via e-mail?

Signed,

Journalista

Draft saved Draft deleted