1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer -- Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, May 30, 2007.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

From journalismjobs.com

Company: Southeast Missourian
    Position: Sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 4, 2007
    Job ID: 783485

Description:
    The Southeast Missourian in Cape Girardeau, Mo., is seeking a sports writer to cover our 21 high schools as well as community sports for our print and online editions. We are looking for a reporter who has demonstrated the ability to go beyond game coverage with breaking news, enterprise and trend stories in addition to notebooks and frequent blogging. In addition, editing and pagination skills will help our five-person staff continue to put out a high-quality print section, which has been honored by the Missouri Press Association and National Newspaper Association. The schools we cover have had a presence in the state tournaments in recent years, particularly in soccer and basketball, and annually produce a handful of Division I athletes. Two of the schools were at odds over a state association investigation that resulted in a pending lawsuit and helped launch the state legislature’s hearings on the state association. We like to keep our readers updated with news like that as well as coaching changes, eligibility issues etc. Competition includes a television station and another Web site in the region. You will be able to coordinate the coverage plan to make sure the high school teams are treated fairly. Also, opportunities for some backup beat work with Division I-AA Southeast Missouri State when the schedule allows. Send cover letter, resume and samples to: Toby Carrig, Sports Editor, Southeast Missourian, P.O. Box 699, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63702

2. boots

boots New Member

A hire was supposedly made with this one a while back.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I know they hired an ASE a while back.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Why would they just post this the other day if they made a hire?

Unrelated, anybody know anything about the place?

5. KurtWarner13

KurtWarner13 New Member

It's a sister paper to the one I work at. As far as I know, it's a good place to work. Toby Carrig is good people and there are a lot of good sports to cover.

As for good high schools...Notre Dame (in Cape) is a playoff contender in just about any sport it plays, and Bell City (outlying school) has finished in the top 4 in Class 1 basketball five of the last six years, and the Cubs won state titles in 2002 and 2004. Bell City has an intense rivalry with Scott County Central (another Class 1 power the paper covers) and there were some pretty intense off-the-court (or should I say, in-the-court) happenings with them, as the ad said.

I'm not sure who is leaving, but I have an idea. Anything else, PM me...

6. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

Thanks for the interest in our position. The Southeast Missourian is a good place to work, and Cape Girardeau is a nice town.
    We did hire an assistant sports editor, a new position on our staff, earlier this year, which allows me to devote time to our Web site, semoball.com.
    This position will be replacing our high schools reporter, who is leaving us for law school in the fall. The duties primarily include the coverage of 21 high schools in the region, but we're also seeking applicants who can help out in other ways in regard to pagination, blogging online with interesting news, etc.
    Feel free to contact me with any questions.
    Toby Carrig
    Sports editor
    Southeast Missourian
    tcarrig@semissourian.com

7. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

I've never worked for or with Toby, but I know he's good people from our dealings at APSE functions. Never heard a bad thing about the guy.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

What's the pay range here?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Hometown of Rush Limbaugh.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wrists meet knife.

11. I don't know Toby or anything about the newspaper, but I think the town is pretty neat. Just $0.02.

12. ASeid

ASeid New Member

After staying over a night in Cape during a long trip, I looked in awe of the color production in this paper the next morning. I think the staff knows it too considering the package for a girls soccer state quarterfinal match contained seven photos (four on the front and three more on the jump if memory serves). For those interested in this opening, I think this paper definitely has the added bonus of making your articles look good.

Draft saved Draft deleted