1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, Burley, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, May 8, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

We have an immediate opening for a sports reporter who is passionate about sports and dedicated to giving fans the local coverage they demand. Working with our sports editor, your job would be to cover five high schools with enthusiasm and take photos. Don't be afraid to scout out features that get beyond stats and recaps to all the things that make sports so great.
    We are an afternoon daily growing at a rate of more than 20 percent. We need someone willing to be a part of our continued success and launch a career with tremendous opportunity for advancement.

A degree in journalism, English or a related field, or comparable experience, is required. Ability to speak and understand Spanish is desirable. Recent graduates and those looking to move from a weekly to a daily are encouraged to apply.

The South Idaho Press is owned by Lee Enterprises, one of 56 dailies in 23 states. We offer a full benefits package, competitive pay for the area and a fun, fast-paced working environment.

Please send a concise cover letter, two writing and photo samples and resume with references as soon as possible to Managing Editor Chip Thompson at cthompson@southidahopress.com.

2. boots

boots New Member

I don't know who the hell you are dude. I've never had any conversations with you in the past. Who and what the fuck are you? On second thought, I don't want to know the answer. Have a good one partner.

3. Stay on topic, Boots. We don't need all this venom on the journalism threads.

4. Pops

Pops Member

Geography was never my thing, but is Spanish really a necessity in Idaho?

5. Must be a lot of farm jobs with shit pay that we gringos don't want.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

pops, there are a lot of hispanics in idaho. spanish is a good language to know.

7. Pops

Pops Member

Interesting. Just seems like it wouldn't be a high priority in a preps job for which recent grads and weekly people are encouraged to apply. Then again, this also is a rare small-paper ad that doesn't demand expertise in photography and layout, so that's not a bad trade-off ...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, i know. i'm a little shocked. i don't think that post of boots' furthered the integrity of this board in the least. he owes all of us an apology

unless ... he's talking to himself, again.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Pops, I don't know how much you need to know Spanish for a preps job, but there are a lot of Hispanics in Idaho. There are not only a lot of Hispanics that travel for the agriculture, but also a lot of Hispanics just live in Idaho. As far as Burley goes, I don't know much about the town, except a lot of Mormons live there - which isn't a bad thing, Idaho (the former moddy) - just a point.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Boots, ignore these guys. Don't let them get to you. With that being said, I've heard that Lee isn excellent chain.

11. Don't encourage him, heel.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Burley is a nice little farm town on the banks of the Snake River. The 'metro' area has about 70,000 people between Burley, Rupert and the suburbs like Declo, Oakley and Raft River.

Twin Falls is about 30 minutes away, Pocatello is an 60-90 minutes away the other direction. Salt Lake City is probably 2.5 hours south.

Twin Falls is also a sister paper and, I assume, there is cooperation between the staffs in regards to covering games.

The economy is very agricultural in nature with a lot of dairy, potato and sweet potato operations. There are A LOT of spanish speakers in the area and they are there year round, not just seasonal. It is a very significant portion of the population.

Not exactly a scenic oasis, but housing is quite affordable.

I dated a girl from Burley a couple of times and all I can say is they teach them how to kiss very well there.

Draft saved Draft deleted