1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Bristol Herald Courier (Va.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

Then it should have read:

Sports Writer, With an Emphasis on "Writer"

Lack of punctuation made it appear as though Writer was the area of emphasis for this writer's job.

The way a similar posting would say "Sports Writer With an Emphasis on Golf" implying that 75 percent of your job is writing about golf.

That's how I took it.

Regardless, how I interpret the wording in no way affects whether I should sit it out or not, thanks.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So, back to the discussion about the opening...

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I certainly hope that wasn't a cheap shot at the previous holder of this position. Because I know he did an excellent job writing features when I was there.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Nice shot about anonymous posts. Am I correct to assume you're actually Tiki Barber?

5. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

This had nothing to do with the previous writer. I have no idea who he is. This was in defense of a perfectly plain job description.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

It's all good.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread is a mess. That is all.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Eh. I don't know. A guy lost his job and that brings out emotions in a lot of people. I have friends on both sides and I'd go to bat for either side (in general, not here because I don't know all the details).

I do know this is a good place to work and a good job in a time when there aren't that many out there.

People speak well of the incoming SE and the former SE spoke well of the job. I think that has to say something. But what the hell do I know?

9. JackReacher

I'll be interested to see how quickly they move on this one, especially with football section planning right around the corner and more than 40 high schools in the area.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Does Media General's community division still pay ass? Because Bristol might be a cheap place to live, but ass pay is ass pay.

Haven't seen the paper in a while, but last I checked it was pretty solid still.

11. JackReacher

I haven't seen the sports section in a while, either, but I've heard good things about the writing and the design. I know they have a good, young designer fresh out of college and a staff of writers for which I've heard nothing but praise.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes. Pay is ass. I'm on the high end of the ass scale, but ass is still ass. (EDIT to clarify I don't work at this particular MG comm property.)

As for the paper, it could be better. The design is boring, from the sections I see flow through our office. The new SE may very well may rectify that. Lots and lots of preps in the section.

Draft saved Draft deleted