1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Bristol Herald Courier (Va.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs:

Looks like they found the sports editor they were looking for earlier this month: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=931567

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that was covered in the now-locked Bristol editor thread. Got a little crazy in there.

Discussion on *this* opening is welcome, but personal shots at staffers past and present are not.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Correct. What he said.
    And I can vouch for this being a good job for someone.

4. I would advise anyone applying for this job do so very cautiously--based on the shady way the previous holder of this job was dismissed.

And you'll note that nowhere in the ad does it mention coverage of Tennessee or Virginia Tech, and the paper (used to) regularly cover both.

To echo Moddy, it'd probably a good job for a lot of people out there. Just go into it with eyes wide open.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I haven't heard all the details, but I've heard enough. EXTREMELY shady.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

What is with their ads? They read like they were written by an overzealous guidance counselor, on crack.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Several laps at BMS? On your first day does the HR lady say "fill out these forms, see security for your badge and then head over to the track!"

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

For this position, given that the BMS race is about two months away, that's probably accurate.

9. Moderator1

I will repeat - good job, good opportunity, new editor coming in who will do a very good job there. Check the boards and see how many papers are cutting people. Not a lot of good jobs out there and this is one.
    The advice about going in with your eyes open? That's great advice - FOR ANY JOB OUT THERE. Not just this one.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Job filled. The aforementioned (and lauded by many of us) Matt Tabeek IS headed to Bristol. Apparently, t's had to be crossed and i's dotted. Congrats to Matt.

11. Moderator1

That's the SE, not the writer.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I hate to disagree with our esteemed Moderator (who I have a tremendous amount of respect for), but I'm hearing rumblings that things aren't sunshine and roses in Bristol.

I don't know the new SE, and he could very well be a good guy (and for the sake of those who have survived at Bristol, I hope he is). But from what I've HEARD, the way the last sports writer got canned should give pause to those wishing to apply. His ouster, WHICH IN MY OPINION IS RIDICULOUS BUT IN THE EDITOR'S OPINION IT IS NOT, coupled with Media General's never-ending problems might take some of the shine off this gig. Yes, it's in a good area with a lot of fun stuff to cover. But if the grass is green where you're currently working, I wouldn't go over there automatically thinking the shade will be perfect.

* Edited for J. Todd Foster, managing editor of the Bristol Herald-Courier, who was kind enough to e-mail me.

Draft saved Draft deleted