1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Bozeman, MT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 24, 2009.

1. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Look, all I'm saying is, if you're not even going to bother applying to a place because you won't get a fancy D-I beat out of college, then that's a mistake. Good luck waiting around for an NFL opening to come up. Get in somewhere, cover preps, cover the college, cover junior hockey, cover biking, skiing, running and rodeo, and do a heck of a job, and good things will happen.

Now if the pay's too low in your opinion, or geographically, you don't want to move somewhere, then by all means, don't apply. But don't make that decision based on the reasoning that preps are beneath you.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think the guy was just inquiring, which is what these boards are for.

One thing I have always told people is that one can cover preps anywhere, in any town, large or small in North America. Unless you have a rooting interest (a/k/a alma mater), it never seemed a determining factor to me. So what I look for is what else is there beyond preps to cover, what makes one paper or location stand out, what does it have that the next one in the line does not.

Fair enough question.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you had me until you mentioned rodeo ... i will NOT be applying now.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In fairness, been there, done that. Covered more than 20 sports, including triathlon, fencing, swimming, junior hockey, community cycling races, etc. It's OK for a while, but hard to make it your bread-and-butter for too terribly long. And it has been my experience that it doesn't always lead to a college or pro beat, either. When someone is looking for a football writer, sometimes those hiking and triathlon clips ---- no matter how good they are --- don't seem to make people sit up and take notice.

5. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket New Member

Anybody know who's leaving or know the SE?

6. I'm not right out of college. I have a job where I cover a bunch of things for my paper -- preps, outdoors, a junior college and sometimes a nearby drive to the D-I team. I was merely trying to see if it was worth it to look into a job in Montana... being that I want to move to my next job where hopefully it's a beat, whether that be college level or some pro.

I'm not looking for the whole glut of stuff to cover, though that might be only what's out there right now...

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Doesn't hurt to apply. If you get called for an interview, at least you have that experience.

8. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Well then I apologize for speaking out of turn, SilverandBlack. Good luck with the application, if you do decide to apply.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

My greatest joy in being on the news side now? No more. Freaking. Rodeo.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

giddyup.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Though them barrel racers do have some big legs.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'da wrecked that ranked barrel racer from montana from a few years back. if you don't know the one i'm talking about, i'll gladly look her up.

Draft saved Draft deleted