1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Bozeman, MT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Division I college football and basketball; high school sports; Junior 'A' hockey; biking, skiing, running and rodeo - cover it all at the Bozeman Daily Chronicle. The Chronicle, an 18,000 circulation daily newspaper in southwest Montana is looking for a versatile sports writer who can help with page design as well. Experience with a college beat and pagination skills preferred. Send resumes and writing samples to Sports Editor Tim Dumas, 2820 West College, Bozeman, MT, 59718 or e-mail tdumas@dailychronicle.com.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ahhhh, Bozeman.

Gorgeous town, very high cost of living, great skiing (my dad helped build the ski lifts at the resort nearest to town).

Can't say much about the paper. I had a girlfriend who worked there, but she was in news and that was many years ago.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Why is it that whenever I see a thread about Bozeman or Missoula I ... pause for a moment? In the ideal world (one that paid enough), working in God's country, even for a spell, sounds like a white Russian after a morning hike.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Why? Because at first glance it ticks off all the boxes -- an open position which the paper (apparently) plans to fill in a great location with Division I athletics. What's not to like?

If I wasn't in one of the handful of places I'd put ahead of Bozeman, my application would be on its way.

5. jps

jps Active Member

it's been mentioned about the area before - and here - but it is hella expensive. what would this pay? (not interested in the job personally ... just curious to see if they might be offering a decent wage to live anywhere near the paradise valley.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The listing says $25-30k, in an area where the median house is apparently over $400k.

7. jps

jps Active Member

hadn't actually looked it up ... and that's not enough. maybe if you're single and ok with living on the cheap. but otherwise, your spouse had better be able to work, too.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Rent prices aren't atrocious for a college town, IIRC, but if you want to buy, well, best to be looking outside of town. I know a number of people who work in Bozeman and live in Livingston, about a half hour away.

9. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, not sure about rentals. but you're absolutely right - to buy in bozeman is not cheap. and livingston isn't a bad commute, but not a great town at all. and the wind will howl daily. it's beautiful outside of livingston, but then you're getting into the valley ... just a tad pricey.

that said ... don't mean to come down on the job - solid paper and section and good beats.

(and lots of films shot around livingston .... river runs through it and horse whisperer come to mind.)

10. Does anyone know how much of the job would involve covering Montana State.. the D-I school? Would it be a fulltime beat or is the paper's coverage of that school mixed in with everything else?

11. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Good God, don't be picky. Just apply!

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If they don't like this one, there's like half a dozen others to choose from in the entire country. Why wouldn't they be picky?

Draft saved Draft deleted