1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Boulder, CO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Colorado Daily, a five-day-a-week free newspaper and Web site (www.coloradodaily.com) in Boulder, Colo., seeks an enthusiastic, smart and aggressive full-time reporter to cover campus sports at the University of Colorado and outdoor recreation throughout Boulder. We're looking for a keen reporter who can provide beat coverage of team sports -- mainly CU club sports and intramurals, with some minor varsity teams thrown in -- as well as delve into Boulder's outdoor-rec world, from rock climbing and mountain biking to the more exotic pastimes that our readers enjoy participating in and seeing covered in the paper. We're looking for a journalist who excels at getting out into the community and coming up with compelling, off-the-beaten-track stories. Applicants must have a college degree and 1-2 years' professional newspaper experience; be clean, fast and proficient writers; and be Web savvy and well-versed in the latest online media and social-networking tools. Experience shooting and editing video for the Web is a plus. Please e-mail published clips and a resume to Editor Matt Sebastian, sebastian@coloradodaily.com.

2. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Curious who left and why.

3. blueview

blueview Member

And I wonder what the pay is ...

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

wfw

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Who wouldn't want to cover club sports and intramurals?

Though I guess I can't knock any place that is actually hiring.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's Scripps, but it's the CU campus paper, or at least that's what it started out as. Not sure why they're looking for somebody with a degree to cover the stuff most of us covered when we were still in college.

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

Because in this climate, they can

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I believe it is not in fact the campus paper anymore. If my understanding is correct, the campus paper is the Campus Press, which I believe is online only.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it asks for a "keen reporter." i'm out.

10. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

It's not the student paper. It is the paper you see all over campus. The campus paper is online only now and was a weekly rag when it came out.

The Daily has a pretty impressive list of alumni, among them Troy Renck, Brent Schrotenboer, Jon Dolezar, Jill Painter, Dylan Tomlinson, Chris Dempsey, all who covered sports as students. I'm pretty sure Rick Reilly worked there as an undergrad.

In the past, sports was the only section that students worked for. I don't know what the setup is now.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Same difference, really.

Possibly that has changed. At any rate, it seems like it's no better than a first job out of college unless you're truly desperate.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hell, given the state of the industry, they may be able to hire a former Rocky employee.

Draft saved Draft deleted