1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pat Beane, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

Does anyone know anything about this job? Is it an IU beat job with things like pagination and preps thrown in, or vice versa?

2. Sue

Sue New Member

The ad above says covering high schools and Indiana University sports. I would venture a guess that it's a mix of the two with some pagination, office work thrown in.

3. Pat Beane

Pat Beane New Member

We have an IU beat writer who covers football and basketball. The guy who's leaving was the lead high school football writer, helped on IU football home games and was the IU basketball columnist. He also worked a desk shift or two a week, depending on scheduling, vacations, etc. Not saying that's exactly what the new person will do, but something along those lines.

4. beckham76

beckham76 New Member

Any word on interviews or a hiring down in Bloomington? Football season is closing in and sounds like they were hoping for the hire to cover it.

5. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

A few weeks ago I heard they were down to five.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Ryan Kartje, a recent graduate of Michigan, was the hire.

7. wildcat110

wildcat110 New Member

An impressive hire. This kid was the ME for the U of M paper. Not a bad gig to have coming straight out of college.

Draft saved Draft deleted