1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Biloxi, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So you want to work in Biloxi for the next 35 years?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are worse places to be and you can stay right in the Magnolia State to see them.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good guys are the Captain, Axel and James.

Adding to Drip's response to Stitch: there are many places in every state of this Union that are worse to live than the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm not saying Biloxi is horrible, but for someone in their 20s to talk about retirement, especially at a newspaper, is a bit humorous in a black comedic way.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not really. I always said I would retire at 50.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

You mistook what I meant. I make very good money now outside of the journalism world. I could retire in 10 years if I play my cards right. Problem is 10 years is a long time. I could go to where there are beaches and cheap real estate now.

I decided not to apply but this was one of the few jobs that I would have a shot at and would tempt me.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Patrick Magee, Southern Miss beat writer for the Hattiesburg American, just tweeted out that he got the job.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Hey, it is the Redneck Riviera. Of course we have our own Carolinas version of the Redneck Riviera in North Myrtle Beach.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I've lived in South Carolina and know North Myrtle Beach. Prefer the ones in North Carolina but they are nice and better beaches than Biloxi. The real estate is much more expensive though.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wonder what Biloxi will be like after Isaac passes through?

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

It's not looking good right now. I'm wondering if Bay St. Louis will get blown off the map. Again.

The Sun-Herald will try to have as many hands on deck as possible, but it has fewer hands than seven years ago. Former sports staffers Don Hammack and Jim Mashek made valuable contributions, but...

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It'll be fine. Don's working the news copy desk and the storm is jogging west, so at worst, they might get a bit of surge. But the farther west it goes, the effects should be minimal.

I'd assume Patrick will take the Southern Miss beat for Biloxi.

Draft saved Draft deleted