1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Beaumont, Tx

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That would be the writer who got the Fargo job.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow. On a staff of five, I believe. 60 percent of the staff to be plugged on Aug. 1?!

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wow.

And they're gaining a big beat with Lamar restarting football.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

That is the one beat that remains filled. Chris Dabe, the ASE, is the Lamar beat writer. The departed/departing writers cover mostly preps and one had a community sports (i.e. your Saturday morning 5k) beat.

5. ArnoldPalmer

ArnoldPalmer New Member

who is still left there?

6. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Does anyone have an update on this one?

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Football starts Friday. Did they fill any of their sports openings yet?

8. BrianGriffin

I hear not. Word on the street is that the two-man staff does what it can than goes home feeling like it did all it could. That's going to get harder with this week being Zero Week. Texas high school football started opening its season a week earlier a few years back. The week before what has always been week one is called "Zero Week." What it does is allows schools 11 weeks to schedule 10 games, much like colleges have 13 weeks to schedule 12.

Anyway, the point is, the HS regular season is here and this paper in a city of over 100k has a two-person staff with no SE and two writers that need to be replaced.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

The point is management doesn't care.

10. esport12

esport12 Member

though the town is 100k, a circulation of 30k with a staff of five (no layout duties, I believe) is a lot. At least these days.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Maybe they aren't going to be a staff of five for much longer. Maybe the plan is to become a staff of two.
    That would actually make sense considering the hesitation in filling the open position.

12. BrianGriffin

Actually, a hear an offer is out on an SE...

Draft saved Draft deleted