1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Beaumont, Tx

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 12, 2010.

1. esport12

esport12 Member

Well, I'll echo my first sentiments. Good people who do a good job. Just there are some challenges. I suppose that's every place, though.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I would agree esport. Good people there. And Bmtsports linked us to some well-done front pages (but @play? Are you serious?). I just wanted to paint the picture of what one is up against going there.

Another thing to point out is aside from the 40-hour-a-week outdoors guy being let go, I can't think of any other sports layoffs there. There is much to be said for that.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I'm no design genius, but why is nearly every story topped with a hammer, two-wordish hed? Seemed like a recurring theme on nearly every page. Is that an edict from above?

4. occasionally

occasionally Member

One thing about LC -- almost all of their product is behind a pay wall and has been for several years. While nearly all papers trending down in circ, they have trended up slightly.

5. highlander

highlander Member

Big tits will cloud your mind every time.

6. BrianGriffin

For the record, I know their Sunday circulation was over 40k at one point, so they have trended down slightly lately. I do believe the Sunday circulation is what the daily circulation was five years ago. But, for context, Lake Charles was hit by two hurricanes in four years: Rita in 2005 and Ike (a surge and flood event, but not much of a wind event...that hit Beaumont and Houston) in 2008. I do believe we'll find in the census that it has a slight decline in population. Given that, market penetration is holding fairly steady.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pipeline sez *** more change, maybe another opening, coming this way soon. Busy place.

8. dm19

dm19 Member

I hear the same thing. There will likely be another posting coming from them soon.

9. BrianGriffin

I've heard the same, but don't be too shocked if this "other" position is filled before it's ever advertised. Not saying it will be, but there's a chance...

10. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

I've heard from more than one who have said the SE is gone.

That leaves an SE position and a reporter job open. The first Friday night for football is 28 days away.

Not good.

11. esport12

esport12 Member

Poor Beaumont.

12. BrianGriffin

Also, another writer has left for what I hear is a minor league hockey beat somewhere in the Dakotas (I don't have the details yet because the &@#^%! sumbitch hasn't called to give me the official news yet).

So the total openings in Beaumont should end up being three. Whether all three will be advertised remains to be seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted