1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Austin, MN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Aug 4, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Austin Daily Herald is currently seeking a motivated and talented sports editor to take our sports section to the next level.
    The Herald is a six-day daily publication in southeastern Minnesota, home to wonderful outdoors opportunities and endless sports action. Austin was the birthplace of Chicago Cubs pitcher Mike Wuertz, legendary sports coach and broadcaster John Madden, and PGA golfers Tom Lehman and Lee Janzen, so there’s no shortage of sports talent here.

The sports editor is the primary reporter for local sports, which includes everything from high schools in Austin and surrounding communities to Legion baseball and league sports. The sports editor also supervises one part-time sports reporter. Page design and photography skills are necessary.

The Austin Daily Herald is headed by a progressive and reader-focused management team that likes being adventurous and trying new things – as long as our readers benefit. We recently spent five months redesigning the newspaper from the ground up, and those who want to continually improve their skills and their product will fit right in.

To apply, please e-mail a resume and cover letter explaining your local sports philosophy, as well as reporting, page design and photography examples, to managing editor Bryan Clapper at bryan.clapper@austindailyherald.com. No phone calls, please.

2. North61

North61 Member

Unless you are right out of college or really desperate for a paycheck, stay far away from here.

3. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Let me get this straight: The SE is also a designer, photographer and the main preps beat writer ... sounds like a quality operation.

Just out of curiousity, does anybody know how many full-timers are actually in the sports department?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Methinks there is one full timer in the sports department.

But the fringe benefit they never seem to mention with this paper is the lovely smell of fermenting Spam that hangs over the town.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I did some work in Austin back in my time -- just for a few days. I was helping out while someone in the office was gone for a couple of weeks.

It used to be a Boone paper, but they may have sold it by now. I doubt it, though. It's a great entry-level job.

6. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Austin (aka Spamtown USA) is a terrible, terrible city. Run by Hormel (SPAM), stinky, and falling apart. Plus, the high school sucks at pretty much every sport, and the other things someone would get to cover include a few low-level townball teams and a wide array of youth and rec sports.

7. It's still a Boone newspaper, according to its Web site.

Draft saved Draft deleted