1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Ashtabula, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Company: Star Beacon
    Position: Seeking sports writer
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: $15,000 to $20,000
    Ad Expires: March 1, 2007
    Job ID: 730547

Description:
    We are in search of a person with varied talents, most notably page design and writing, the majority of which would be on the scholastic level. We are a 20,000-circulation morning daily. This position -- at this time -- is at least 30 hours per week, with the potential for more hours, depending on what's happening in the area. Position DOES include full benefits, incuding medical, dental, vision and 401K. Applicants should have a solid background in using Quark, NewsEdit Pro and Adobe Photoshop and, perhaps even more importantly, a desire to 'take the ball and run with it` in terms of joining an award-winning sports department. Send resumes to Sports Editor Don McCormack, P.O. Box 2100, Ashtabula, Oh. 44005-2100, or, via e-mail at donmac@suite224.net. If using email, information should not be in Word -- please include it in the text of the email. No telephone calls.

Me says: Intrigue...
    $20,000 for 30 hours could become $26-plus for 40!

Discuss...

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Um, Ashtabula is mentioned in a Bob Dylan song. I know that much.

3. I would definitely be trying to push as many 40-hour weeks as possible.
    Either that, or somebody will be taking the new "Ramen Noodle" diet to the Extreme!

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Off the top of my head:

"So I'll look for you in old Honolulu, San Francisco and Ashtabula,
    You're going to have to leave me now I know

But I'll look for you in the stars above, the tall grass and the things I love,
    You're going to make me lonesome when you go"

What's this have to do with the job? Nothing.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Isn't this town mentioned on "Blood on the Tracks"?

6. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

It says 15 to 20 grand fellas. You might see it start at well blow 20 for the 30 hour week.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think I know someone who works there. Or at least he used to. Not sure if he's still there or not, I haven't talked to him in years. I know the website was uglier than a sharpei orgy, but they've at least cleaned that up.

No attachments + non-newspaper e-mail = trouble ahead. Paper that size should be able to deal in both.

They get a metric assload of snow, so be warned. They're in a favored lake effect area.

They're close enough to Cleveland that you can go to the games, but they have freelancers provide their minimal coverage.

A quick glance at their website indicates they use exclaimation points too damn much in their headlines.

And Ashtabula's in a Bob Dylan song.

That's it from this end.

8. busuncle

busuncle Member

It's the hometown of Urban Meyer.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

"You're going to make me lonesome when you go", Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

For what it's worth, the town was also mentioned in the original "Drew Carey Show" theme song ...

"We met in Ashtabula,
    she was doing the hula.
    I handed her my radishes
    and pledged my love that night."

And I'll second all the snow. It makes things difficult but the salt trucks do clear the roads pretty quickly.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

"a metric assload." Great stuff.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

well, there's one story to expect once a season.

Draft saved Draft deleted