1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Ashland Times-Gazette (Ashland, OH)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've been to Mansfield. I don't think I'd consider that being the nearest big town a selling point at all, although the boy I crushed on all through high school's last name was Mansfield.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

What's the weather like there? How much snowfall a year?

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

It's not quite in the snowbelt the way Cleveland is, so not as much as there. According to the National Weather Service, an average winter yeilds 45 inches of snow, although this past winter had nearly 80. You can expect a couple of big storms per winter that drop a foot or two.

4. td truckers

td truckers Member

This position doesn't even pay $20K per year...

5. cubman

cubman Member

Ouch!! I disagree. Youngstown or Portsmouth would be far more fitting for an enema. :) Actually, just draw a line from Youngstown down through Zanesville to Chillicothe to Portsmouth. Most anywhere east of that is a hole.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Douchebag.

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Holy crap! All this time I've been living mere minutes from Ohio's butthole and never knew.

Not to quibble, but why should anyone believe you? What, exactly, qualifies you to make such a sweeping generalization?

What SC said.

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I think the three years I lost of my life living near there is qualification enough.

9. LMC08

LMC08 New Member

All of the sudden, they have had to replace five writers (news and sports) and four copy editors in the last calendar year.

Have there been varying cirmcumstances for this? Sure there has. But has there been one common word also involved? Yes...

Management.

It's a great place to get your first start, but few people enjoy working for the upper management there. Attempting to run a 11,500-circulation newspaper like that of a major city metro just to stroke an ego usually doesn't rub off well on others, and it hasn't.

GOOD people work there...but from 3 direct sources that have worked there, they work for people with agendas and it doesnt pay that well. Hence, opening after opening, etc.

But good luck to anyone applying...if your a rookie, hey, it's a start.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

What SC said (along with CH)..

DB

11. bigtimmy

bigtimmy New Member

I live in Ashland, MA. Does this make me eligible?

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Can we rename this board the Jay Sherman Jobs Board?

Draft saved Draft deleted