1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Ashland (Ohio) Times-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scouter, May 28, 2008.

1. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Today's story covered by a staffer was a Minor League (looks like 11-12 year olds) softball game between the Lime Green and Red teams that ended in a 13-13 tie. That should answer any questions about how they cover youth sports.
    http://www.times-gazette.com/news/article/3884571

2. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I doubt there is much else going on this time of year in terms of sports, so I guess it gives them something to do. I'd probably rather be out of the office covering Little League (and I have before for a much larger paper) than do some of the other stupid tasks that could be assigned just to stay busy in the summer.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I saw the paper when I stopped in Ashland on the way to Columbus a couple weekends ago. The entire front page of the sports section was devoted to local stuff. I don't even remember seeing a Cleveland Indians story on there.

4. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Job has been reopened....

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=429924

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I just think they're holding out for Jones.

6. td truckers

td truckers Member

Yes, this job was re-opened from the second vacancy, but not the first...they filled a sports writer position in June, but then lost another in late August and are still looking for a replacement. Gotta be tough to be down a man during fall sports...

7. boxand1

boxand1 New Member

No, they never lost anyone in late August. They simply never filled it.

8. td truckers

td truckers Member

boxand1,

That is 100% incorrect. They lost Dusty Sloan, who had been there for 15 years in some capacity, in late August...his last night was the season opener for high school football. He's now free-lancing in the Columbus area for This Week Newspapers.

Draft saved Draft deleted