1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Ashland (Ohio) Times-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scouter, May 28, 2008.

1. Scouter

Scouter Member

From journalismjobs.com

Company: The Ashland Times-Gazette
    Position: Sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 2, 2008
    Job ID: 429924

Description:
    Covering high school,youth and community sports are our bread-and-butter. The Ashland Times-Gazette is looking for a full-time sports writer who knows the best stories are often on the local sandlots and at the Y along with the bowling alleys and golf courses. We cover nine high schools along with Ashland University, a NCAA Division II school. The Times-Gazette is a 12,000-circulation, six-day A.M. and is consistently recognized as one of the best newspapers of its size in Ohio. Ashland, a county seat and college town, is located in North Central Ohio, with both Cleveland and Columbus just a little more than an hour away. We are seeking applicants with previous professional experience or at least one good internship during college. The application deadline is June 10, although the interviewing process will begin immediately. Send 6-8 samples of your work to Ted Daniels, Editor, Ashland Times-Gazette, 40 E. Second St, Ashland, OH 44805, or tdaniels@times-gazette.com.

2. expectingrain

expectingrain New Member

"the best stories are often on the local sandlots and at the Y along with the bowling alleys and golf courses"

'Nuff said

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So does that equal stay away?

4. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I don't know about the job, but I know a little about the place.

It's a nice, small town, right off 71, probably a little less than an hour to Columbus and a little more than an hour to Cleveland. Good sports place in that people care deeply about their local high school teams, and I know Ashland U is always good at baseball and is getting really good at football.

It's way more Green Acres than big city, but I'd think this job would provide some decent opportunities.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ashland is world headquarters of nice people, if you believe the sign on the interstate

6. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I know someone who held this position a few years ago. This person seemed to be OK with it, and never said anything bad about the paper or coworkers. I've come across a few writers from there on occasion, but I don't know them well. I believe at least a couple people on staff have been there a good while. High school sports and Ashland U. are mostly what they do, so don't be too turned away by the community-type stories.

7. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Turned around there, more than an hour to Columbus, less than an hour to Cleveland.
    Men's fastpitch softball used to be huge there at one time. They also host a girls high school softball tournament that got national attention at one time.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ashland is a pit. Can't speak to the paper, however.

9. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Ashland no longer hosts the state tournament for softball.

I've only been to Ashland about five times, and I certainly didn't seem like a pit. Seems like a typical small college town to me. They also are making major renovations to the university athletic facilities, which sound pretty nice.

10. thebigd

thebigd Member

No offense sportschick, and I'm sure you are well-more traveled than I, but Las Cruces, New Mexico and Ruston, Louisiana are pits. I cant believe Ashland is worse

11. LMC08

LMC08 New Member

They don't host the state softball tournament anymore, but still host I think the Wendys tournament, which is the national recognition one of the two. They had two writers and a sports editor there together for a good 2-3 years and when I ran into them I seemed to get along pretty good with them, anyone know who left?

I also know someone who used to work there about 3-4 years ago and basically, whoever gets this job will be working with two good guys in sports (whichever two they are) but there isn't a lot of "freedom" from what I gather to be their own section...my buddy said their owner and publisher have their handprints all over every aspect of that paper, hence the youth sports. And believe me McMillan, we used to rib by buddy good because they do a LOT more youth sports coverage than you think.

Ahhhh...nothing like glorified press for 7-year old kids...but the lack of freedom and little league coverage aside, my buddy LOVED that job while he was there so I'd say go for it if your thinking about applying...

12. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I had this job before the guy who left. You can private me for more on it, if you want. I still work in the chain, so my thoughts should stay private.

Youth coverage is incredibly significant to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted