1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, AP -- Kansas City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Apr 20, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Associated Press seeks an experienced sports reporter to cover Kansas from its bureau in Kansas City, Mo.

The successful candidate will take over and build beats covering the NFL's Chiefs, MLB's Royals, the MLS team Sporting Kansas City and the prominent sports programs at the University of Kansas and Kansas State, among other duties. This reporter will have a proven track record of building reliable sources, breaking news, writing accurate and compelling game copy on deadline, and delivering smart enterprise that shows ownership of a beat, team or sport.

We want someone who sets the agenda for the top sports news in Kansas and gets the scoops for the AP's global audience. This is a position that requires speed without sacrificing quality, excellent planning skills and the ability to juggle. While the position is text-based, we want someone aware of the growing demand for content in multiple formats (photos, video, audio) and can work with his or her colleagues to deliver it. We prefer someone comfortable with using social media tools. Experience in reporting on professional teams will be considered a plus.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Candidates should have demonstrated excellence as a beat reporter, and have a proven record of developing sources, breaking news, originating story ideas and writing on deadline in a clear and engaging way. Applicants should understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats. The successful candidates should have at least five years of full-time reporting experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station or AP bureau.

Other qualifications:

_ Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.

_ Ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of global interest and work accurately under deadline pressure.

_ Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines.

_ A willingness to work nights and weekends, and to travel to various sports assignments.

Authorization to work in the U.S. is mandatory as is advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language.

https://openings.ap.org/viewjob.html?erjob=21603&eresc=ERNOTIFY

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Doug Tucker. Outstanding career.

3. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

Agreed. Classy guy and a great writer. Any idea if this was a decision of his own or was he given a nudge from the AP?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I heard he's retiring, I assume on his own but I guess I don't know for sure.

He's had that job for a long, long time.

5. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Adam ought to grab this gig before the ceiling joins the walls in falling down on his once-proud shop.

6. mellinger

mellinger New Member

Just adding to the pile of love for Doug. A good man. If they're going to get the same amount of work without him, they should probably hire at least two people.

7. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

How likely is it they hire internally?

8. Very.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I don't think Doug visits this site but I definitely wish him well. One of the good guys in this biz. Big shoes to fill here.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dave Skretta had the byline today on the Chiefs camp story and another story on camp injuries, also a KC byline.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's at least four AP jobs listed on here in the last two weeks. I wonder if there's an underlying reason.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

On top of recent departures in the past year out of Salt Lake City and Pittsburgh.

Draft saved Draft deleted