1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Antelope Valley (Calif.) Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Dec 15, 2006.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=712423

Company: Antelope Valley Press
    Position:
    Sports Writer for L.A. County Daily
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    January 19, 2007
    Job ID: 712423

Description:
    Sports Writer for L.A. County Daily
    The Antelope Valley Press, a dynamic newspaper in North Los Angeles County, seeks a hard-working sports reporter to cover preps to pros. The prospect has clips that show detail, fresh approach, ability to report the entire story and writing that won’t let a reader put down the paper. Responsibilities of this full-time position include reporting, writing, copy editing, and meeting firm deadlines. Page layout a plus. Must have 1 – 2 years of daily or quality weekly experience. Journalism degree or related discipline. Will consider promising recent graduate with robust campus paper string book. Send resume and five great clips to Antelope Valley Press, P.O. Box 4050, Palmdale, CA 93590-4050 or e-mail to personnel@avpress.com.

I know we've had a few things about two other gigs (SE and copy/design) on here that were also posted recently, but I'm curious about the writing gig specifically.

Perhaps Birdcribe should PM me. ;-)

2. ogre

ogre Member

I know that this opened up because the previous writer is moving to NorCal for a job that pays 12 Gees more a year. Cant remember which paper exactly, but I stink it was McClatchy.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Who's the writer? Where is he going?

4. ogre

ogre Member

Sean Lynch. As I wrote, I dont recall the paper he's going to next, but he'll be doing preps there too.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Haven't met Sean, but he's a decent writer.

6. ogre

ogre Member

Always improving, always composed, Lynch is the good kind of "a decent writer." The young kind.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

So what's the story here? Is it completely a preps job? Does it involve covering 12-year-old soccer?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

How big is the paper? And didn't they just have both of these openings a couple of months ago?

9. Kable

Kable Member

I applied for this, but I don't think I'll even get a shot since I live all the way across the country.

10. Kable

Kable Member

I would love to go back out there, but I don't want to go out unless I KNOW I'll be granted an interview. I don't want to spend jack or time out there if I know that it's not worth going.

11. Tierra

Tierra New Member

They've already started interviews for this one.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Hopefully if that's the case, Tierra, they've already gotten close to ENDING interviews for the SE gig. Cart before the horse, you know.

I haven't talked to my people there in more than a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted