1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer and desk jobs - The Maui News, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bc31, Nov 5, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So is trying to understand what people are saying to you (as opposed to my usual reaction of looking dumb and saying, "Huh?"). :)

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Didn't get a reply the first time so we're going to try this again. From reading the thread, one could come with the conclusion that they would like to hire a female. Is that correct?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I don't see that and I don't know why you would, unless you're jumping to a conclusion.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

The first few posts made me think that. That's why I was asking.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Listen and understand? Yes.

Speak it yourself? Not recommended.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ever heard of the eeoc?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So...I only got a job offer because I'm a female? Is that what you're saying to me right now?

And keep in mind, Dip, that no one associated with the paper has posted on this thread. I have posted my experiences, which may or may not be anyone else's.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Will you get a grip, please? You go off on too many tangents and take issues on courses that border on stupidity. The question was raised because there were two women offered the position. It wasn't a slight against you or the other person. I asked the question because I thought they might have been looking for diversity which I am all in favor of.
    I personally don't have a stake in it. I just asked a question. You have a way of losing it and creating verbal sparring matches. The end result is usually a thread getting shut down because you get others to join in. You do it too often and it's not necessary.
    This is not going to be one of those matches. There is a job out there. There aren't many openings. The thread needs to remain open to keep people informed. I hope you understand where I'm coming from with this.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't get threads locked, baby. Sorry to disappoint.

I don't know what they're looking for. Perhaps you should contact Brad, who would know, instead of asking me, who wouldn't.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You should have gone to "no." Not the random question mark space where you came up with that.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Newbie1234

Newbie1234 New Member

Does anybody know what sports/events the writing position would be covering? I know the school is on a different island, but do they cover the University of Hawaii?

Draft saved Draft deleted