1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer and desk jobs - The Maui News, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bc31, Nov 5, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Sounds like pretty interesting opportunities. Best of luck to those that land the gigs.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Excellent point. I was there a few years ago and was so tempted to hand them my resume.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Are the greens fees cheap for locals?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you get called for a second interview, do they fly you out on their own dime or do you need to swim?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I realize that was your attempt at a joke, but there are no in-person interviews, I don't think.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Thanks for your recognition of "humor" and the answer.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

Yes there are reduced green fees for locals..Anybody want to hazard a guess how many apps Mr. Sherman gets? 100? 200?

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Last time a sports opening in Hawaii got a wide advertisement, I believe the final total was somewhere around 200.

9. spankys

spankys Member

i was curious about the circulation....surprised to find out its just a 20k.

10. TrooperBari

There's only about 130,000 people on the island. It's more rural than people think, and I don't recall seeing copies of the News on any other islands.

Kahului, the biggest city on the island, has about 20,000 people, and Wailuku is right around 13,000.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

:-\ Major stopping point, dammit.

Anybody's who's really interested and can handle the moving expense should read this page, too:

http://www.extreme-hawaii.com/pidgin/vocab/

12. TrooperBari

Let me nip this in the bud. If you're white, don't bother trying to speak pidgin.

It's in your best interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted