1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Amsterdam Recorder (Upstate NY)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=719749

Sounds ideal for a recent grad. Circulation is around 9,000.

The Recorder, an award-winning daily newspaper in Amsterdam, is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled full-time sports reporter to cover local sporting events and write features.

Generally, people in the Amsterdam area are passionate about local sports — the high school football team routinely draws 5,000 fans to a home game, and the Amsterdam Mohawks led the New York Collegiate Baseball League in attendance — and The Recorder is the primary source for local sports news.

Candidates must have a bachelor's degree and college, weekly or daily newspaper writing experience.

Candidates with photography and/or editing experience will be given preference.

Amsterdam is centrally located in upstate New York, 30 minutes west of Albany.

We offer a competitive salary and great benefits. For immediate consideration email your resume, cover letter and writing clips to Geoffrey Dylong, Director of News Operations, at geoff@recordernews.com. If necessary, mail your items to The Recorder, 1 Venner Rd., Amsterdam, NY 12010.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Whatever the anti-Moddy Seal TM would be, I would give it to this job. I applied for a news job just after graduation, was given a trial assignment: Cover a local parade. I did, they said OK, ran the story, but then they wanted to give me another trial. I was like, forget it. I felt like I was being used.
    I don't know if sports would be different, but that was my situation.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, how adequate was your parade coverage?

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Fine. It wasn't my first time writing for a daily newspaper, it was just the first job I had applied to out of school.

5. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

I interviewed here 15 years ago.

I can't speak how the paper is now. But Amsterdam is small and isolated. Whatever industry had been here had long shut down, and I remember that finding something to eat at 2:30 p.m. in the afternoon was a chore. I remember ending up at the mall, where only one of the four food court restaurants was open.

I think I was offered the job, but I turned it down. It might be the ideal place for some folks, but it wasn't for me -- I had lived for the three previous years in NYC and wasn't looking to live in a place that could have been the backdrop for a Richard Russo novel.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Define "competitive salary," somebody.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading on the old NewsMait site around 10-11 years ago that Amsterdam was the paper whose publisher fired the editor because the editor didn't attend the office Christmas party. Then the publisher wrote the editor a threatening letter saying that if the editor revealed why he was fired, that the publisher would ruin the editor's career.

Granted, it was 10-11 years ago, and I don't know who's there now. Just thought someone might be interested in the paper's past history.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey, it was good enough for Ed Harris and Joanne Woodward, dammit. ;D

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was the lede, "It was the best of parades. It was the worst of parades."

Draft saved Draft deleted