1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer (also with desk duties), Springfield, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Todd M. Adams, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

The State Journal-Register, an award-winning daily in Springfield, Illinois, is looking for a high school sportswriter who will also help on the sports desk 2-3 nights per week. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of covering high school sports – including game coverage, features and issue stories; is adept at social media and can shoot video when needed; and can carry out various desk duties including editing copy, writing headlines, editing cutlines and proofing pages. Night and weekend work is required.

Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and 3-5 writing clips to Todd M. Adams, sports editor, at todd.adams@sj-r.com. No calls, please. The SJR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Application deadline is Aug. 13.

2. sportswriterpaul

sportswriterpaul New Member

Is this considered full-time or part-time

3. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Full time.

4. jwsports

jwsports New Member

I know Ryan, vaguely. He has seen some of my work. I have 26 years exp. in Iowa but am a Tville native and would love moving back. This is full-time, correct?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

God I would kill for a Monical's pizza right now.

6. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

desk duties? how much pagination will that mean?

7. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

No pagination. Pages are are put together at design house in Austin. The desk work will be editing copy, writing headlines, editing cutlines, proofing pages, etc. And working with the folks in Texas via phone, email and chat.

Draft saved Draft deleted