1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Albany, Ga. ...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DannyAller, Apr 13, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As is the case with many jobs, you look far enough and you're bound to find different stories. I guess we have both sides here. Plus a damn thorough job posting from Danny.

Since you mentioned the deleted post, I'll clarify--if someone creates a new sign-on just to bash someone, it's getting axed. We mods try to keep an eye out for this; it's bush league and not cool. Create a new sign-on to praise someone, that's fine. It is OK to be nice.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And there's a post still here, signed by the author, that isn't exactly glowing. That's fair - he didn't throw a bunch of f bombs around or hurl insults. He stated his case.

Like any job, ask a lot of questions and make sure you are comfortable with the answers.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I don't disagree with that policy, but there has to be some kind of middle ground. I very much doubt these one-post posters are new to the site. They're just trying to add another step to their anonymity and still be able to provide their insight, even though it's negative.

I mean, how many people are either foolish enough or ballsy enough to post a flat-out "Fuck this guy and fuck this paper" under either their real name or their regular handle? I can see someone wanting to warn people without napalming bridges.

Would the mods object if the negative info were forwarded to a regular poster or a mod to be posted? Like I said, just looking for some middle ground in giving everyone both sides of the coin, positive and negative.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't say for sure that I would object. But I will say that if someone is taking those kind of measures to get something posted, that sounds like serious axe-grinding to me.

I understand the instinct to "warn people", but sometimes it's also OK to let things go.

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Fair enough.

6. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

I worked for Danny at The Herald (I was there a little under 2 years total) for about 10 months.

I will make some statements about my time there:

He interviewed VERY well for the job -- and I supported his hire at the time.

The first few months under him were fine and enjoyable.

After our first conflict or disagreement, our relationship was never the same. Any debate on a topic or a story was seen as a challenge of his authority...anything.

His temper would never fly in a newsroom bigger than that. I'm glad Mike has had such a wonderful time in Albany, but there are more writers than you have fingers on one hand who have departed in the last three years who say otherwise. I'm just one.

BUT, I would like to thank Danny for two things:

1. forcing me out of the business, which eventually led me to doubling my salary in another field in less than two years' time.

2. In my current management job in the education field, I was asked to think about management styles that did NOT work for me in the past. Thanks to Danny, it was easy to channel my experiences from Albany.

So I genuinely want to say thanks for helping me become a better and more successful manager...and making a sh*tload more money.

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Am I the only one picturing Mr. Aller sitting red-faced behind his desk, furiously plotting his revenge?

Good luck to whomever gets the gig. May your time in Albany be as fortuitous as Mr. Phillips'.

8. I have to say I'm a bit befuddled by the statement from Smarty Jones that the current SE has "turned around" the sports section in his three years and made it into a "writers sports section." I do believe that the section was winning national awards, and sending writers on to bigger papers, for quite a few years. One writer won an APSE three straight years in Albany. Another former writer just won a first-place APSE at a bigger paper, and has won others before. A former SE, who left a few years ago, parlayed his performance in Albany into an SE job at a bigger paper. Writers he hired and supervised now cover SEC beats at three different schools.

So yeah, you're right, Albany is a good place to show your wares and "grow as a journalist." Has been for awhile.

9. I would have to say I enjoyed my time in Albany. I must have, because I went back as sports editor after working there previously as a college writer.
    I was blessed with terrific writers, who made me look good, and I had good support from the leadership during my nearly seven years running the section.
    As far as the city, I was married with two young boys and worked nights so there wasn't much of a night life for me, anyway, but Albany's not a bad town. Is it Atlanta? No, but you have to know that going in.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shirley, you jest?

(Dammit, I had to do it.)

11. No problem. I expect it. At least you didn't come with "Daniel my brother" lyrics. That's MUCH worse than any Shirley reference.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I know nothing of the current climate at the Albenny Herald, but I will say it has been a pretty good proving ground for folks through the years.
    When I was more heavily involved with GSWA than I am now, I remember full well the number of awards Dan Shirley and Gentry Estes racked up (an aside - Gentry married a right smart young lady. She might be twice as smart as he is). They also had a fella who ate up one of the most thankless beats at any paper, the outdoors beat, and did by all accounts a sterling job with it when Daniel and Gentry were there, IIRC.
    I've known some other folks through the years whose career took them through Albany and they were talented, hard-working guys, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted