1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Albany, Ga. ...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DannyAller, Apr 13, 2010.

1. DannyAller

DannyAller New Member

Hi, everyone. This is Danny Aller, sports editor of The Albany (Ga.) Herald newspaper, an award-winning 25,000 circulation daily located in Southwest Georgia.

We're going to have a sports writing position hit the job boards any moment now, but I wanted to open the thread and both offer some insight (beyond the brief ad) and provide contact information for anyone who may have questions. This way anyone who is interested can get a jump on it. Plus, we're also looking to get someone in here fairly quickly so whoever we hire can have most of the summer (when it's a bit slower) to get brought up to speed and settle in comfortably.

We're hiring for the job vacated by longtime Herald sports writer Scott Chancey, who -- as some of you know -- has been with us for eight years and will be tough to replace. Scott was recently hired as the sports editor in Greenwood, S.C. --- so many congrats to him!

A little about what the position/beat entails:

** The person in this position will cover primarily our five local colleges --- Albany State and Georgia Southwestern (both D-II), along with Darton College, Albany Tech and Andrew College (all JUCOs) --- as well as reporting/tracking news from any of our four major universities our readers care most about: Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn and Florida State. We have many local athletes from our area who play for these four schools, not to mention the overwhelming general interest in their major sports teams, which lends itself to feature opportunities, notebooks and game coverage. The primary responsibility, however, is the five local colleges and their teams, most of which are highly competitive each year in both their respective conferences and nationally. Darton, especially, in the last few years has made a multitude of splashes at the NJCAA National Championships in golf, soccer, softball, baseball and wrestling.

*** This writer will also help out from time-to-time covering high schools, of which we have 24 (mixed between public and private). High schools will be the primary beat of our other sports writer, but because of the vast area our paper reaches in Southwest Georgia, it's not a beat one person can do alone. Or at least not up to the standards our readers have come to expect. The Herald's sports staff, like many newspapers across the country, lost a full-time sports position a year and a half ago, and these days is comprised of myself, two full-time writers, two heavily contributing part-timers and a stable of great freelancers. When we lost the position, we made adjustments, moved some folks around and --- to be honest --- we really haven't lost a step in the award-winning section/content this paper has become known for now for over a decade. As many of you know, our business hasn't gotten any easier recently, but a team effort can often make amazing things happen.

*** Aside from using the wire for most national news, there is also some national coverage done by our local sports staff, whether localizing a mainstream story or otherwise. And it's not limited to stories just on local Southwest Georgia athletes who are now starring in the NFL, NBA, MLB or pro golf, which we have many. Whether it's a trip to the Braves (spring training, usually), the Masters, the Daytona 500 or an ACC/SEC football game, these are all areas that we have traditionally covered. Naturally, this has been scaled back some in the last year but the opportunities to work on national stories are still certainly there.

*** Having design/layout/copy editing experience is a HUGE plus here. This position is 80% writing, 20% layout/design/copy editing, meaning four days of the week will be spent writing/reporting with generally one day of desk work mixed in. Our layout program (InDesign) and story-filing/wire system (Scoop) are both very easy to learn and use, so previous experience is not a must --- but a definite bonus if you have it. During the week, our section can be as big as six pages, or as small as three. Sundays are generally 8 to 10. And our nightly deadline is 11:45 p.m.

*** Salary is always negotiable and will be based primarily on experience level.

Well ... that's about it. Hopefully this insight helps. And I'll be happy to answer any additional questions anyone has about the job/area. Just email me at: danny.aller@albanyherald.com.

And for those already interested, just send over your resumes with five writing/design clips and a list of references to the same address, or you can mail them to me at: 126 North Washington Street, Albany, Ga., 31707

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Solid paper, from what I've heard. Good gig for the right person, I'm sure.

Albany's in a weird location in Georgia. It's a decent-sized town, but it's seemingly in the middle of nowhere. More than 40 miles to the nearest interstate. More than 100 miles to the closest bigger city, which is Macon (I don't think there's a bigger one closer than this). This is just to say that this is probably a moderate-sized town with a smallish-town feel that could be isolating for some. Just something to keep in mind.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And its pronounced more like al-BIN-ee not like the capital of new York

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I wish every job listing had this much detail.

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

6. writingump

writingump Member

Every editor who puts a job posting on this site should be required to put this kind of information on here. Good job, Danny.

7. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Agreed. Well done, Danny.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, agreed. Very good spot for someone who wants life in the deep south with the sports mix that it brings.

9. I always thought it was pronounced all-BEN-ee.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Bin or Ben I guess

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Depends on your definition of major city, really. If you consider Columbus a major city, it's a little closer than Macon, as is Tallahassee. But they're all more or less two hours. And Columbus sucks.

From a high-school sports perspective -- which is less relevant to this job, but not irrelevant -- Albany's always been a stronger basketball town than a football town, unusually for Georgia.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

While Albany isn't where perennial powerhouses are located in football, it's not unusual for coverage area teams to go deep into the playoffs. I've said this before though: That's less important than your working environment, of which I know little. Just know the guy who's leaving, and he's salt of the earth. I'll also say this: If you're a suburban person used to metro/industrial culture, this will probably carry some new experience with it, though perhaps less so covering colleges than in covering preps.

Draft saved Draft deleted