1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Albany, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here we go again. Don't know if they're serious about hiring but the ad is out there on jjobs.com

The Albany Herald, a daily newspaper located in Southwest Georgia, has an opening for an energetic, experienced and well-rounded sportswriter. The position will focus heavily on local high school and local college sports. Duties include game coverage, feature and enterprise writing, column writing, and some photography/videography and copy editing. Applicants should be familiar or able to learn InDesign. The position will primarily focus on writing and reporting four days a week, but will also require helping with copy editing and with designing and laying out the sports section, usually one day a week. Applicants should not be rigid in thinking of a traditional 24-hour news cycle and should embrace practices such as blogs and Web-posting breaking news. You must have access to dependable transportation and maintain company-required level of auto insurance coverage.

To apply, send a letter, your resume, five of your best clips representing the scope of your ability, and three references to Danny Aller, sports editor, The Albany Herald, P.O. Box 48, Albany, Ga. 31702, or submit the items via e-mail to danny.aller@albanyherald.com.

Pre-employment drug screening and background checks required.

2. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Well anyone have any insight on this job???

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

My insight: Be prepared to work your ass off.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

This place, albeit a decent stop, is always advertising and not necessarily hiring talent.

5. Floyd

Floyd Member

Allow me to provide some insight as a former employee...

I would rather work at McDonalds than go back to this place. I'm not even slightly exaggerating.

The SE is awful. He is awful as an editor and has a personality that has driven four different people out of this shop, including myself. Impossible to work with. Micromanager who doesn't know how to manage.

The coverage at the paper used to be good, with lots of preps (and good HS football there, too) and coverage that ranged into UGA, FSU, G-Tech and Auburn. The college beats have disappeared, and the HS beats are a bit overwhelmed by lots of other ridiculousness. Don't expect to do much real journalism here. What was a great starter job is now a paper interested in "community journalism" at its worst.

And as for actually living in Albany... well, again, that McDonalds job will afford you a far better social life.

I'll be happy to discuss specifics and details with anyone who has questions, but as I said, firsthand advice is to stay far, far, far away from this one.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A high school friend of mine started out in the TV weatherman biz in Albany. I can attest to the sentiment that it's not exactly a swingin' hotspot, social-wise.

7. eek!gannett!

eek!gannett! Guest

Two words when it comes to the SE: Temper. Tantrum.

8. rossyb

rossyb New Member

See, people are personally attacking the sports editor yet when I bashed Donnie Douglas, the editor in Lumberton, NC, people here didn't like it!

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We didn't like it because that's ALL you did. That was your mission here. You have 12 posts and 11 of them are related to your "love" for DD.

If Floyd posts the same thing multiple times, then we'll have an issue. Stopping by and offering his input? Not so much.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

well said Mod

11. Floyd

Floyd Member

Thanks, Moddy. I'm honestly not trying to cause trouble. I just know from personal experience it's a bit of a toxic environment there, and I want any younger writers who might consider the job to know what they're getting into. No agenda beyond that.

12. What's the circulation for this paper? Couldn't find it online.

Draft saved Draft deleted