1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer – Kenton, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Company: Hardin County Publishing
    Position: Immediate Opening in Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: September 16, 2008
    Job ID: 663295

Description:
    Sports Reporter - We have an opening in our six-day Ohio newspaper for a qualified sports reporter. We are looking to fill the position immediately. Must be able to show clips of sports coverage. Will have some general assignment reporting, as well as sports. Send resume to: jbarnes@dbscorp.net or mail to:Tim Thomas, Kenton Times, PO Box 230, Kenton, Ohio 43326. If you are from out-of-state, note that we have no travel budget.

EDIT: You have to consider that you'll be in the hole if you take this from outside of Ohio. If the paper really wanted you, they would pay you to move. It looks like the paper just needs a warm body in there.

2. $1,500? I would think that bill wouldn't be that high. I could get to Ohio on two tanks of gas with about everything I need. I think a moving bill would be closer to $250 for me.

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

For those interested, the Kenton Times is family-owned. The paper covers seven high schools and Ohio Northern University. They generally are credentialed for Ohio State also, but it is not at all a high priority (and all trips to OSU would be on your own time and gas). It is a two-person staff, including the sports editor, and everyone there has to do some news. Reporters take their own photos. There are opportunities to do a little bit of everything, which means you can learn a lot but also means you will work a lot. I can answer probably just about any question on this position, so let me know if you have questions.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agreed.

A few years ago, I priced a move from Great Lakes to New Mexico and that was about $2K.

It matters greatly from where you start from. But to give a blanket figure $1500 does no good and reeks of speaking out of your ass, Stitch.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You have to figure plunking down money for a deposit and first month's rent on an apartment. Figure paying your way to interview if a phoner doesn't work for the paper.

So what if my number seemed high. I assume this paper will get resumes from all over the country. I stand by my comment about if the paper really wanting someone, management would chip in moving expenses.

Draft saved Draft deleted