1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Web Producer Wanted -- The Palm Beach Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoop Time, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Company: The Palm Beach Post
    Position: Sports Web Producer Wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: January 14, 2009
    Job ID: 1003206

Description:
    PalmBeachPost.com is seeking a Sports Web Producer. The ideal candidate has the knowledge, creativity and skills to help enhance our web site. We're looking for someone with experience in and knowledge of HTML, CSS, Flash, Photoshop and content management systems. Experience with video and audio (Final Cut, i-Movie) also is a plus. Basic knowledge of sports is a plus, but not essential. We want a creative thinker who can bring fresh ideas to the site and help guide the online coverage of major beats such as the Dolphins, Marlins, Heat and high schools, and major college programs at Miami, Florida and Florida Atlantic. The job includes keeping the sports index page updated, writing sharp, engaging headlines, updating pages and features on the site, creating new products and features as well as involvement in regular multimedia packages, such as photo galleries, audio/video features, live chats with site users, and creation of Web-exclusive content. Candidates should send resumes to Sports Editor Nick Moschella at nmoschella@pbpost.com or c/o The Palm Beach Post, P.O. Box 24700, West Palm Beach, Fl., 33416-4700

Best part of the ad: "Basic knowledge of sports is a plus, but not essential." One common problem with these producer jobs is the lack of actual journalism skills as a job requirement. How can somebody effectively produce sports content without knowing sports?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The average fanboy has "knowledge of sports." That's not a journalism skill at all. We shouldn't stand on our high horses and act like it's really that tough to gain a knowledge of sports that can help one do this job well. Learning such things quickly, that's a journalism skill.

More and more, knowing content management systems, photoshop, etc. has become a journalism skill for doing a particular job. Like knowing AP style, or how to design a section.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Saying basic knowledge of sports isn't essential is silly and irresponsible. How can you "guide coverage of major beats" when those beats are, ahem, sports? And if you don't know that even the smallest piece of Dolphins news is probably bigger than anything from Florida Atlantic, your sports index page might be a disaster.

I don't know if it's just a ploy to draw resumes, but in this market you don't need any tricks.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's why you have to hire a journalist with computer skills, not a computer geek and teach him how to write.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That may be what they should do. But they don't, unfortunately.

6. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I wouldn't write the job posting that way, either. I would say that basic, solid journalism skills and sports knowledge are needed along with producer skills.

On the other hand ...

The top editors in Sports are roll-up-the-sleeve types who are very experienced and knowledgeable. If the Web editor had decent journalism skills, these guys could bring him/her along and it could work.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What's the circ?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Look up circulations at http://abcas3.accessabc.com/ecirc/newsform.asp

9. Hey, at least they're hiring. That's enough cause for celebration.

10. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Believe they also just hired a writer for preps. Don't know if that was advertised, though.

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Yep, there's a new prep hire. She started last week.

And as far as the Web job ... the desk does the bulk if not all of the editing and headline writing. The Web producer just needs to know how to get the information on the site and make it look good.

Think of this as a 'design' job and not necessarily an 'editing' job, to keep it in dinosaur edition terms.

12. texas_superman

texas_superman New Member

This is a job I'd REALLY want, and I think I'm more than qualified to fill. I've worked as a Web Producer for the Denver Broncos, a sports reporter for various weekly/daily papers in the Denver area, and I've been heavily considered for a similar gig with the Seattle Seahawks.

I'm sick of coming up short in my job search. Can anyone give me some tips to land this gig in particular?

Draft saved Draft deleted