1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Trivia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, May 16, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dallas Texans (NFL) - Wikipedia

The Texans were the last NFL team to fold. Many players on the 1952 roster went to the new Baltimore Colts franchise in 1953.
    The American Football League (AFL) had a 1960 charter member named the Dallas Texans (who later became the Kansas City Chiefs),
    but the AFL Texans have no relationship with the earlier NFL team.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Cleveland lost the Rams to Los Angeles, and the Browns to Baltimore, then got an expansion team.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Colts have one of the more unwieldy histories, and they have chosen not to count it as lineages. They count their history, I think, beginning in 1953 in Baltimore.

Essentially, as I understand it, there was the original Colts AAFC team, which began in Miami, was known as the Seahawks, before moving to Baltimore and joined the NFL with the. Browns and 49ers, but folded after 1950. In other words, these Colts are no relation either to the Miami Dolphins or Seattle Seahawks.

Then you have the Boston Yanks/ New York Bulldogs/New York Yanks mess from the mid '40s to the early '50s. This team was sold and became the Dallas Texans, except the Giants were allowed to pick a few first since the team had been in their territory.

Then the Texans collapsed, the league took them over so they could finish out the season as a road team that, believe it or not, spent weeks based in Hershey, Pa., where they practiced. That team folded, and, when the Colts began, they got the Texans' players, just like the Texans got the Yanks' players.

The Colts don't claim any of this history, which is just as well, considering we're talking three other franchises located in four other cities, plus a temporary town to practice in and had five nicknames.

I think.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Under that same, strange lineage world, a person could claim the Raiders are really the Minnesota franchise since its ownership drafted what would become the first raiders before bolting the afl to go to the nfl.

And that leads to a question, what the Oakland franchise’s very brief name before becoming the raiders.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Senores. Played one season at Kezar Stadium and one year at Candlestick before moving to Frank Youell Field.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What was the last Stanley Cup Final featuring two teams making their first Final appearance?

Liut likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, was it Anaheim and Ottawa? Oh, Cosmo, wanted to send a clang of two beer bottles your way.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ottawa was making its first appearance in 2007; Anaheim was making its second, having lost in the dull 2003 pre-lockout seven gamer to New Jersey.

And appreciate the cheers!

Liut likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That 2003 series might have been the worst series ever.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It had a few moments but generally sucked.

Friesen scoring on Giguere then yelling “Go back on Jay Leno!” was great. Kariya fogging his visor after the Stevens hit, then scoring soon after. Steve Thomas desperately trying to win a Cup.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Took me a while, but 1996. Colorado/Quebec vs. Florida.

Cosmo likes this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Kariya scoring after getting destroyed by Stevens was what I remember most.

Draft saved Draft deleted