1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Travel. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Jul 7, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That is one of the stupidest things you have ever posted.

A 6-inch story written off a box with no quotes is better? Jesus.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Amen. From the reader's point of view: if I'm reading about "my" NFL team, I want to hear from someone who KNOWS the team, not an AP writer who sees them once every two or three years.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

True. But let's remember, our friend here is just saying this may be the way management begins to look at things ... not that he champions the cause.

Translation: Pull in the claws, sc. ;)

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was Stan. I swear!

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Stan's cool ... he gets a pass ...

6. boots

boots New Member

Here we go.
    Look, since you are so bright figure this one out. You have a sports writer who covers a team. You have a budget to maintain. You have AP able to provide adquate coverage for an event.
    If missing a few events means keeping someone employed, what are you going to do?
    Pull in the claws and please give me a not so stupid response. Evidently, you have a better idea.

7. End of your scenario.

And Shot: I know he's right. What I'm scared of is that it took that long in this thread from someone to express that view.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't think that viewpoint is valid. The AP doesn't usually provide the level of coverage your readers would find adequate, unless you're an upper-echelon school or a professional team. And if your paper covers regularly an upper-echelon school or professional team, your readers are going to expect a level of coverage they deem more than adequate. In this day and age, when newspapers are scratching and clawing to hold on to a dwindling readership, why would we choose to give them less?

9. Why does everyone keep disagreeing with me and then write things I agree with 100 percent?

I'm quite confused. I think I'll take a nap.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wasn't disagreeing with you. You're not the one expressing the contrary opinion.

11. I'd have put it more politely, but yes.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Boots, as a freelancer, I love your thinking because it puts more money in my wallet.

As a journalist, I think it's a horrible idea. It is getting tougher for newspapers to be relevant in a digital age. By eliminating beat travel, why should readers buy the paper? Why should professional and college teams credential us? All that's left to cover, then, are high schools and youth sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted