1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Time Machine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

OK, you have one chance to go back in time and be present (no altering history allowed, of course) for one (sports) event or game. Which would you choose and why?

For me, it would probably be Ruth's called shot in the '32 series. Always wondered what the real deal was. Of course, would love for it to be true.

How about your choices?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Even though it happened in my lifetime, I would have loved to be present at the Larry Bird game when he banged his head on the floor and came back to lead the Celtics past the Pacers in the playoffs.

There are also lots of Yankees playoffs games I would love to have seen.

3. Lake Placid, 1980. U.S. vs U.S.S.R.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd like to go back and watch the Final between Michigan State and the mighty Sycamores.

I'd like to go back and watch any number of Chris Evert-Martina Navratilova Grand Slam Finals.

I'd like to see the Roger Federer-Pete Sampras Wimbledon match that Federer won.

Oh, and Jesse Owens in the Olympics.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Liston - Ali
    Red Grange runs for 7? touchdowns
    One of the exhibition baseball games the Negro Leage played against the MLB.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jesse Owens, Berlin, 1936
    Joe Louis-Max Schmelling
    Bobby Thomson's shot heard 'round the world, 1951 (I was alive but not old enough to actually watch it)
    Game 7, 1955 World Series --- Dodgers beat the Yankees, 2-0, on Johnny Podres shutout. This is the first baseball game that I really remember watching (as a 6 year old) but I want to go back and be at Yankee Stadium and see it live.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Game 6, 1919 WS.
    Game 7, 1926 WS.
    Game 8, 1972 Summit Series.
    Ali-Foreman.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Game 7, 1960 World Series -- Mazeroski's home run is what's remembered, but the entire game was back and forth with amazing performances from both the Yankees and the Pirates.

Game 7, 1957 World Series -- So I could see my hometown baseball team win a World Series.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

March 23, 1957 -- NCAA Tournament title game, North Carolina hands Wilt Chamberlain's Jayhawks a triple-overtime loss
    May 25, 1965 in Lewiston, Maine -- Cassius Clay knocks out Sonny Liston and a legend is born
    Sept. 30, 1972 at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh -- Roberto Clemente tips his cap at second base after hit No. 3,000
    Oct. 26, 1985 on the first-base line at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. -- The Don Denkinger game
    Dec. 31, 1988 -- Mario Lemieux scores eight points, becomes only player in NHL history to score a goal in all five possible game situations
    Jan. 15, 2006 at RCA Dome in Indianapolis -- Steelers survive wild finish to beat Colts 21-18 en route to Super Bowl title

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Good call Oz

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Immaculate Reception -- with a camera on Franco Harris

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Dec. 27, 1964 at Cleveland Municipal Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio.

Cleveland Browns 27, Baltimore Colts 0

I would cherish every second of that game considering what is/was to come over the next 40-plus years...

Draft saved Draft deleted