1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports terms that have fallen out of favor in the last 60 years

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Dec 8, 2009.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I've used stanza for basketball quarters.

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

tennis players = netters

Apologies if this was submitted earlier.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've used it for hockey periods, along with "frame."

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I use that sometimes, actually. Sometimes even in basketball to refer to quarters.

In older columns that our Other Years columnist looks up, she'll notice references to the area high school, which calls its teams the "Tigers," was also sometimes referred to as the "Bengals." That apparently died out once the Cincinnati Bengals were created. My guess would be was they thought people would start assuming that "Tigers" and "Bengals" were different teams.

Even further back, I guess there was "redclads" in the early 1900s before "Tigers" became the official mascot. And she says it was always with a lower-case r.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Basketball players are called cagers because, several decades ago, the courts were surrounded by fences and mesh so they resembled cages.
    In the same vein, football players got the name gridders and the field got the name gridiron because, decades ago, the field was divided into a grid because passing rules then restricted how far down field a team could throw the ball.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"You're hired".

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn't so much how far, lengthwise, they were allowed to throw the ball down the field, except for the end zone, where an incomplete pass would count as (I think) either a touchback or a fumble.

Teams were not allowed to throw the ball down the middle of the field. Rather, they were allowed to throw the ball at least five yards to the left or right of the line of scrimmage. There also weren't hashmarks back then, so wherever a guy got tackled was where the ball was spotted. If they went out of bounds, the ball was put one yard inside the boundary.

The field looked like a giant checkerboard. This ended during the 1910s.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"The world-champion Cleveland Indians."

"The New York football Giants"

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

"amateurs" and "Olympics" in the same sentence.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh no ... there are enough guys trying to get out of Podunk local TV that'll use that thinking sounding like Chris Berman is their ticket out. Now, if the baseball Giants were to come back ... but that seems unlikely!

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Used to have a part timer who'd love to write "Joe Schmoe corralled 12 caroms for Podunk High."

I always wondered if the guy used to cover rodeo.

12. dinosaur

dinosaur New Member

Pale Hose

Draft saved Draft deleted