1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports terms that have fallen out of favor in the last 60 years

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Dec 8, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Moon shot
    "The blitz is on!"
    Harriers
    Circus catch
    Speedball (Ugh--somoene needs to explain proper baseball terms to Bruce Springsteen)
    Sudden death (I can still remember Curt Gowdy asking why they didn't call it "sudden victory" instead---look at it as glass half-full)
    Red dog
    pancake block

On the other hand, there are some terms I wish they would introduce back into sports lexicon:
    i.e., Screwball (one that breaks in opposite direction of a curve---let's give pitchers credit who can throw this)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sudden death is still very much used in hockey, if nowhere else.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it is ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Hunters have been referred to as Nimrods for a long time. It's in the Bible, in Genesis. Nimrod was a hunter. In fact, a "mighty hunter."

But then the Bible was trumped by a higher authority: Bugs Bunny. He mocked the hapless hunter Elmer Fudd as a Nimrod, and now we all associate "nimrod" with a silly person.

As they say, you can look it up.

"Bugs used Nimrod to refer to his adversary, poor old Elmer Fudd. Bugs was being facetious. Calling Elmer Fudd, the hapless hunter, Nimrod, was like calling your duffer golf buddy Tiger or the barely competent quarterback of your flag football team Peyton. The trouble was that a lot of people didn't get the joke, but they still thought it was funny because it was a funny name. Nimrod." And more, "Anybody familiar with New York Jewish culture and folklore would have 'got' the reference to Nimrod. That excludes a lot of people. In these people's minds, Nimrod must mean stupid because that's the way Bugs said it."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1566649/the_story_behind_the_term_nimrod.html?cat=47

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

While you're thinking about that, think about this ... when was the last time you called someone "Einstein" and meant it as a compliment?

6. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Do we work together?!? Those are old standbys at my shop. Same with caroms, which someone mentioned before.

Another gem -- tallies -- seems to be interchangeable for any measure of scoring in any sport.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I wrote this last year for the 115th anniversary of the Monon Bell (Wabash vs. DePauw) game. Tried to write it like it had been 80-90 years ago.

http://file050a.bebo.com/5/original/2009/12/18/20/902449a11988095328o.jpg

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

my favorite, used when somebody goes top shelf, er scores a goal in hockey just under the crossbar, Johnny Savard wristed the puck on net, depositing it in the sock draw. Even worse was a parent sending in a youth writeup that described a similar goal as Jimmy put the puck where momma keeps the cookie jar. MINGYA!

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wonder what it would be like if someone tried to project forward and write a gamer from the future. Probably a lot of "boo-yahs" and "biotches" used.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

One sports guy on TV in Toronto used to frequently call it "top shelf, where they keep the peanut butter."

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

As is pancake block and circus catch, I'd say.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted