1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Teams You Would Get Rid of or Move

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

::)

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Dick Whitman: As long as there are parents whose high school kids like to play sports, there will be high school sports.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Interesting point, DW ... although I don't think an increase in entertainment options for teens and families moving around a lot will affect high school sports as much as budget woes will.

My guess is within a generation, most high school-age sporting events will be run by private organizations and leagues such as AAU, which are privately funded. And that will be a shame for kids from families who can't afford to compete in such a league.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Makes as much sense as moving the Canes back to dwindling, shrinking Hartford.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of course attendance is down. It is down in every sport. It was breaking records annually until two or three years ago. What does that coincide with? Quick, one guess.

There was an attendance bubble, a sports bubble if you will. It popped.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's like handing a bag of sugar to a severe diabetic.

Tell bankrupt California it can have another team when it shows it's anything but a mess.

8. Dick Whitman

Oh, there will be sports for high school-age kids. I just don't know if they will be run by schools, especially once they become bigger money holes then they already are. They are, honestly, hard to justify as it is as teachers get laid off and academic programs like art and music are eliminated.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure, the recession has impacted all cultural events. Well, except movies.

And what about ratings? And youth participation and general interest? Is that due to the recession as well?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the Coliseum was just beginning to get decrepit then.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not the Houston Oilers? They already have a nifty fight song.

12. Dick Whitman

I would have to have more information on those trends, and you need to provide more information if you want to make this argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted