1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Teams You Would Get Rid of or Move

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Lets not forget that two owners were sitting in prison for fraud, Richard Gordon ran the team into the ground, One GM traded away the franchise's most beloved player, another GM went to the Betty Ford Clinic and Weicker greased the wheels for Karmanos (being named to the board of compuserve several months beforehand). I don't think Rowland had much of a choice at all.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Baldwin also ran the Penguins into the ground, so not all of his NHL endeavors have been successful.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Then the NFL has no grasp on reality, especially in Cali. Public money isn't as plentiful as it was even five years ago and probably won't be for five more years [/wildguess]. On top of all the reasons stated, it would mean a team owner is making an investment in the community beyond donating a few secondhand t-shirts to the Boys and Girls Club, and he might think twice before threatening to leave if the new playpen is not up to snuff.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

So much for deep-thinking conversation. :p

(I still hate L.A.) ::)

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I hate the steelers so let's move them.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think Pittsburgh is the perfect place for the Steelers.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Baseball: I'd cut the season down to no more than 100 games and change to seven innings.
    As far as getting rid of teams or moving teams is concerned, I'm pretty disappointed with Tampa Bay's attendance figures even when they've contended for a division title or wild card. If I were to suggest moving the Marlins, it'd be a situation where ownership is basically trying to make the team undesirable enough in its market to get the fans to let them move. I might contract them and move the Pirates to the N.L. East.

Football: Move the Jags to L.A. so we can stop bitching about that city not having an NFL team.

NBA: Vancouver does not deserve an NBA franchise. Neither does Memphis. Move the Griz to Seattle.

NHL: Move the Hurricanes to Hamilton. Move the Thrashers to Hartford as the Whalers. What the hell purpose does the Lightning serve? And get rid of the Coyotes while you're at it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NFL in LA thing has more to do with other owners expecting a cut than it does finding a person who wants a team there.
    Al Davis will sue (again), there aren't many teams in the NFL who wouldn't see their bottom lines improve with a 213 area code and most owners would be pissed to see someone else move and see his franchise value jacked up 70 percent. An expansion team? It will mess up the scheduling and conference balance. You add another team to even it out where? Another LA team? San Antonio?

Draft saved Draft deleted