1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports tab ideas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sweetbreads bailey, Jan 3, 2008.

1. We're looking to do more tabs and special sections in 2008. Aside from the usual football and basketball preview stuff, just curious if folks have other good ideas for sports-related tabs and special sections. Thanks for any help you can provide.

SB

2. Hunting and Fishing has worked well at my last two stops. Also a spring sports (baseball, softball, track) has worked well.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

A pure fan sports tab with lists of the best large-screen, HD TVs, best couch or recliner, best fast foods and sports bars, quick and easy snack recipes, hottest sports babes, etc.

You know, stuff for the average reader whose last athletic feat was a quick run to the bathroom during a commercial.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Olympics are this summer. That could easily be one. Just try to localize it as much as possible.

Any state finals, big tournaments, or sporting events in your coverage area? You could always take one of those and make it into a tab or wrap.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We had good luck the last two years with a preseason NASCAR tab.

It seems like the 2008 version may not fly, but if NASCAR is big in your area then that could be a winner, especially if you can get the car dealers involved.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Question: Why?

(Unless the advertisers are lining up to get in the sections, of course).

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

golf, providing you are in a good golf area.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There were several local racetracks in our coverage area so we did a racing tab, with some NASCAR wire stuff sprinkled in.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why?

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Oh baby, I'm pitching this one.

Advertisers would eat it up.

I remember I did a story in a city that opened a new arena. I went and sampled as much food as I could - paid for by the company. I was just recognized in another city where I now live as "the guy who did the food story in Last City."

Readers dig that Average Joe shit.

So do I if I can get work to pay for a burger and beer while I watch some sports at local bars.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I was gonna chime in with the arcetrack stuff.

I think advertising oughta be suggesting the topics. They should know what's gonna sell.

A Little League baseball tab would sell.

(I cannot believe Iam saying these things)

12. Corporate tells local publisher = you need to come up with $45,000 to $50,000 in additional revenue for 2008.

Ad director comes to me looking for anything sports related that may help. Remember, this is the company that has already cut us to bare bones (no OT, no Christmas bonus, etc.).

Draft saved Draft deleted