1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Summer Camps

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by cyclingwriter, May 20, 2009.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I hope this is the correct page for this, but does anyone have any insights into summer sports camps? I've been told to do a story on them and if they make money. I was wondering if anyone ever tried something like this before? What are camps like now?

2. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Day-care centers.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Pretty much.

I guess, with the economy is, the numbers of those camps and if participation has dropped significantly from the past year. Many camps around my area charge for entry, so I would think that would be one interesting angle.

4. share24

share24 Member

There are a million types of sports summer camps.

There's the community recreation program, or the day care centers.

There are some elite camps out there, some that make $ and others that rely on advertising/sponsorship. But there's definitely a good story.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Thanks for the tips. I ended up going with the parents' angle of how much money it is to fork over money to send their kids to these things and then talked to the kids about the hassle of it all. Parents, of course, see it as a way of helping their child. Kids felt it was a nice way to get away from their parents.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess the story's done, but there's also the camps that are done as fundraisers. A couple of our local high school teams put on a two- or three-day baseball camp every summer. Charge $50 a head, play some ball with the little league kids for a few days, and you can rake in the bucks. Our teams this year probably had 50 kids or so at their camps.

Draft saved Draft deleted