1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports subjects you are just plain tired of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 16, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I listen to some of the Ringer/ESPN podcasts, and they don't cost me anything, and it doesn't bug me too much to make the list, but good lord, they microanalyze the NBA. With November MVPs, first quarter of the season all-stars, etc. And the ironic thing is, there is no league regular season that is less important!! (hope that was correct use of irony)

2. poindexter

Got it.

The Joe Tessitore way

3. poindexter

I should delete this thread and start with this as #1 with a bullet.

Wenders, OscarMadison and Songbird like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Used to be a rookie quarterback didn't sniff a start till his third year maybe.

Now a rookie quarterback must be the MVP while leading the team to a Super Bowl title to cap an undefeated season.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That sounds a little ... breathy?

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

For me, it's the day-to-day minor events that get blown way out of proportion to their actual relevance. The Screamin' A's of this world are the worst promulgators of this shit.

The East Coast, from Boston to Duke and on south.

The Pac-12 or 14 or 16 or whatever it is.

The Cowboys, Dallas version.

Once my sports journalism career ended, I became much more regional in my interests.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So-and-so is or isn't an elite quarterback.

All things all-star, from the snubs to the games themselves.

Sports Mount Rushmores.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He always was but, like Saint Jordan and Saint Jeter, we acted as if the inverse was true for fear of losing access to him saying nothing of importance. I never understood the difference between Earl Woods and Marv Marinovich, either.

maumann likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

While I'm at it:
    • Patrick Reed and his merry klan of weirdos.
    • Every damned NFL or college football preview show seemingly talking gambling.
    • Using a bunch of twitter statements as a reaction story.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That kind of hype is nothing new, really.

In 1965, Joe Namath played 13 games his rookie season and won AFL Rookie of the Year - in an absolute avalanche of hype and backlash and anti-anti-anti-hype. Biggest contract in football history! Namath spurns NFL!

(and if you want breathy / breathless, I give you Howard Cosell. Hell, I give you Grantland Rice.)

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, but sometimes a well-timed sociopathic entertainer hits just the right spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted