1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Stories that Would Make Good Sports Movies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bocksheesh, Oct 5, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. Nothing screams sports movie like scott Skiles high school career

2. sheos

sheos Member

Al Davis needs a bio-pic

3. CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma New Member

The Billy Martin story. It even has a happy ending: A bad guy dies.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yeah, they could title it, "things go better with Coke."

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sorrry, you're right. The book I meant to cite was "This Side of Paradise." :-\

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A good book by a good author.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

bump, just so when I refresh the main page the NASCAR thread isn't the top one.

8. bocksheesh

bocksheesh New Member

Yeah, what's with the NASCAR thread? Yeesh.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't believe I didn't think of this one sooner -- The Bill Masterton Story.

He was an original Minnesota North Star despite having been retired from pro hockey for four years prior to becoming the first man to sign a contract with the expansion team in 1967. He also scored the first goal in franchise history, during his and the team's very first NHL game.

Only three months later, he became the first (and, to date, only) player to die of injuries suffered during an NHL game. After passing the puck to a teammate, he was checked and hit the back of his head on the ice at the old Met Center in Bloomington. He never regained consciousness, dying two days later at age 29. He left a wife and two young children.

A memorial trophy to commemorate sportsmanship, perseverance and dedication to hockey has been awarded to an NHL player every year since his death. And although his team long ago departed for Texas, no one else in franchise history has ever worn his No. 19.

http://www.northstarshockey.com/bmt.htm

Bill Masterton's son Scott is a writer (as well as a former national kickboxing champion). I wonder if anyone has ever suggested to him that his dad's story should be told on the big screen.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

A movie on Terry Sawchuck would work as well, arguably the greatest goaltender to ever lace them up, but also one of the most tourtured souls to play the game. Fairly tragic story from begininning to end, but a good one.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Cory Lidle?

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Jim Abbot

Draft saved Draft deleted