1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Stats for Dummies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brown_eyed_girl, Jun 25, 2006.

1. brown_eyed_girl

brown_eyed_girl New Member

I am looking to make the switch from writing sports at a weekly to working in a sports information department. I do not have a lot of experience with taking stats...does anyone have any recommendations for a good book that would give me a crash course in taking sports stats 101??? Thanks :)

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Not to be flip, honest.
    I don't believe such a thing exists (and I've googled).
    I'd think that is just one of those things either you know how to do or pick it up by watching others do it or you don't.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think you're going to have more luck finding resources for each individual sport, rather than one be-all, end-all source.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The NCAA publishes stat manuals for each sport. You can order them for about $5 each. PDF versions of each manual are available on the NCAA's Web site for free.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Most SIDs use sport-specific stat programs, and they're pretty easy to figure out. If you can score a scrimmage or two before the regular season starts, you should be in pretty good shape. Usually, the conference SID office dictates which stat program to use so it's consistent throughout the league.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Learn how to use the "Automatic Scorebook," it's essentially the computer program all SIDs live and die by.

I'd imagine that'd be an impressive point on a resume if you already know how to use it well.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree that no book will be the perfect solution. anyone can explain the concept of what is a kill or a dig or an assist. but the only way to get good at taking stats during live action is to practice. ask coaches for old game tape and practice at home if you have to. and make sure all games are taped so if you get flustered during the game you can go back later and update the stats.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You could ask The Big Ragu, but he's busy putting asterisks next to everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted