1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reports on all-news radio lacking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Dec 1, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I spent the day Sunday on a family outing, missing all of the NFL games.
    Get in the car and tune to Los Angeles all-news radio station KNX at 6:20 p.m. for the scores.
    They start with NHL, go to college hoops, then give the current score of the Sunday night game, and finals for the Chargers and Raiders, then say "for all the NFL scores, visit knx.com."
    Don't these idiots realize if I was anywhere where I could get online, I wouldn't be listening to them? No one goes to news radio for sports news unless they are stuck in a car.
    Shouldn't they feel obligated to give all the NFL scores in each report every Sunday?
    Can anyone who works/worked in radio explain the rationale of sending listeners to a Web site?
    It's bad enough we do it in print, but that's usually for extra information, not essential news.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you can get it online for free.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Usually when they say that, I pull out my BlackBerry and type in the web address. Once there, I check out all the scores. Very easy if you ask me.

Have you considered this option?

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

As I wrote, if I had other options, I'd have used them. My only way to get the scores before arriving home two hours later was from the radio.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

News stations don't do a whole lot with sports because there are all-sports stations in just about every market big enough to have an all-news station.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it is free.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Relax, I was kidding.

And I don't have a BlackBerry.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There are all-sports stations here, but they all had live games at the time.
    It's not that huge a deal, just frustrating.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Surely you are joking, TP. How can you consider the price of this type of phone and the data plan that goes along with it free?

Sorry, but I'm with MTM on this one.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, we are talking LA and we are talking the NFL here.

Mutually exclusive subjects.

Draft saved Draft deleted