1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporters/Food

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by housejd, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good idea. I also propose all the fat sportswriters do not need to eat these meals, so there should be a weight limit imposed on free meals.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Peter King just screamed and has no idea why

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, I think.

He's a damn good punchline. I think I'll use him if/when mike311gd finally gets laid.

4. Actually, many of the MLB, NBA and NHL teams charge the media for dinners now, partly ethical reasons and partly cost-saving. I don't mind, because it's the convenience factor of being able to eat while I'm at the arena working. I haven't seen it yet with the colleges I cover, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it catch on.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If you're covering an event that requires you to be on site for 6, 8, 10, 12 hours, there's almost a moral obligation to feed you, just like they would event staff.

I have never been so pissed as when I was covering an event and the host organization chose to have it in BFE. Nearest non-gas-station food was 25 minutes away. They set up a spread for event staff, officials, etc. but expressly told the media they couldn't eat. They were trying to save money. But they encouraged us to spend money on the overpriced concessions! Sorry, if I'm working an event, I don't have an extra $40 cash on hand three meals from the snack bar.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered a college football game a few years back and they brought out about 10 pizzas after the game. I watched a student swipe three full pizzas and walk out the door with them...

From my experience, the editors who complain about writers getting a free meal are the same ones who play every "media day" at every local golf course...

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I never have a problem with a reporter grabbing a meal provided by a team or event.
    I do have a problem with a reporter talking his/her way into the arena's exclusive steakhouse/bar and me getting a call from a club rep.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

How do you think I got fat in the first place?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did you bring a lunch box?

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

My rule has always been that if I have to skip a meal to be there, I'll eat. If I don't, I won't. (But I will always grab a bottle of water).

For a 7 p.m. game, I can usually eat at home before it starts, so why would I need to eat another meal?

11. I got a buddy that says his integrity can't be bought with a ham sandwich, though the Tampa Bay Bucs really, really tried. Anybody ever had the bananas foster at halftime knows what I mean.

Though the captive audience thing just doesn't hold true. Too many court reporters spent too many days in court rooms with no watery chicken or boiled hot dogs in site and managed to survive.

I try to avoid it these days, mostly because I tend to eat too much, but I have no problem with the practice. We're sportswriters, guys who get paid to have the best seats in the house most of the time, I think we've got bigger objectivity issues than free food. Go Redskins!

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If the free food changes the way you write your stories, then you have a problem. But typically, for me, cold cut subs, 12-oz cans of pop and homemade cookies are just a way for me to find something to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.